Does anyone know this story...

LYother

... about a spaceship fleeing the now-uninhabitable earth, a trip so long that most of the passengers were born on the ship and have no concept of what they're doing. One of them pulls a knob off the control panel to give to his girlfriend, and an original passenger -- a very old man -- rails at these kids to quit destroying the ship. It's pure paranoia from the inside; the old man knows the purpose of the trip but none of the younger ones do.

There's a load of generation ship stories out there.
Your detail of kids pulling chunks off control panels makes me think of Ark by Stephen Baxter.
However I no longer have the book so I can't check to be certain

Can't help you about the book, but I can move the thread over to Book Search where we keep these types of problems. Good luck with finding the one you want.

I regret that in my original question I left out an important detail. I read this story in 1960 or '61 and anything written after that ain't it! Sorry about that.

I don't remember everything about the plot but I'd start with Orphans in the Sky.

I've just skimmed all through my copy but can't find a section as stated by OP with some kid breaking off a piece of the control panels.
Must be some other generation ship story

Could it be Brian Aldiss' Starship/Non Stop - Starship being the 1958 version and Non Stop the one rewritten to update it in the early 2000s?

I have not long read non-stop and that rings no bells but the plot is ringing some long lost phone line in my skull trying to see if anything jostles my memory