IT -The Movie

Without a doubt the best Stephen King has produced (The Stand-Schmand). When they released the teaser pics last year of the House on Neilbolt Street I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It's so dedicated.

Interesting to see Mike Hanlon at the ironworks. I wonder if that creepy skeletal blackbird will be in.

As far as Dan's spoiler is concerned, we won't find that out till the second movie.

The only reservation I have is that the old days have been re-set as the 80s instead of 1957. I get why they did it, but I'd rather see those classic Universal monsters from the 50s, than some OTT Hollywood CGI.

I'm wishing away summer.

pH

Oh I am pumped for this. I have the original on DVD, and have my bookmark at around page 60 in the 1000 page paperback still. I need to read this in my back yard this summer. I will do it. I swear.

Looks great. Kind of like how they are splitting the kids part and the adult part. Makes sense.

Oh I am pumped for this. I have the original on DVD, and have my bookmark at around page 60 in the 1000 page paperback still. I need to read this in my back yard this summer. I will do it. I swear.

Looks great. Kind of like how they are splitting the kids part and the adult part. Makes sense.

Nath, are you telling me you've never actually read It?

:mindblown smiley:

pH

I know...I've read A LOT of King but not some really good ones. I am ashamed...I deserve to have Georgie's fate. These days I shy away from 1000 page books because I can read three others from my pile in that time. I do have it out, and with a bookmark in it. Started a couple months ago, but since then its just sat there. :devilish:

IT is one of my favourite King novels, I remember the tissue paper thin pages well, so long ago now. I didn't like the mini-series though, so am looking forward to this hoping it is well produced. It looks as though it is.

I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread (I suppose I should have known a movie about a book should be in the books section) but holy crapola am I excited for this!!!

I actually only read IT recently, and (is this embarrassing to admit?) only because one of the kids from Stranger Things was cast in the movie so I thought I'd check it out. Quickly became of the best books I've ever read. Can't wait to see what they're doing with this - I don't know if I should watch the original adaptation or not before this one...

I don't know why it took me so long to find this thread (I suppose I should have known a movie about a book should be in the books section) but holy crapola am I excited for this!!!

I actually only read IT recently, and (is this embarrassing to admit?) only because one of the kids from Stranger Things was cast in the movie so I thought I'd check it out. Quickly became of the best books I've ever read. Can't wait to see what they're doing with this - I don't know if I should watch the original adaptation or not before this one...

TBH I don't think it'll make much of a difference. The 1990 version is great but dated - it's only really worth it to see Tim Curry play Pennywise.

(I'm bemused by the love Stranger Things gets. I thought it was okay but Channel Zero was far better IMO)

pH

(I'm bemused by the love Stranger Things gets. I thought it was okay but Channel Zero was far better IMO)

pH

For me Stranger Things is like a sci-fi Stand By Me (I loved that film as a kid). I watched it just after it was released and before the massive hype - I would probably have thought differently if I came to it after having heard everyone raving about it, which is sort of how I feel about Twin Peaks (all I ever got from watching that was finally understanding the backwards-talking dream in the Simpsons episode about who shot Mr Burns...)

ST is kind of similar to IT in its basic themes of friendships being used to fight adversity, but obvs on a much less macro and less well-drawn scale, as befits the medium of a TV series.

For me Stranger Things is like a sci-fi Stand By Me (I loved that film as a kid). I watched it just after it was released and before the massive hype

I need to amend my position on Stranger Things. When I saw the trailer for season 2 I got excited by the promise of the Lovecraftian Big Bad at the end, so as the release date neared I rewatched S1.

Thoroughly enjoyed it. I think this time because I knew it was going to be SFF rather than supernatural horror, and had already witnessed Wimoana's histrionics first time round so'd become inured to that. I really enjoyed it. A week later the second season became avaiable and I mainlined that and enjoyed it thoroughly, too. (Although I wasn't convinced about
the Dagobah storyline of Eleven training with the guerilla team, which was a hamfisted device and a bit too Fringe-derived for me
)

So, I recant all my previous negatives on Stranger Things and look forward to a third season.

pH

The original traumatize my childhood, as I caught the sewer scene innocently channel surfing on my TV one day. 'Ooh, a clown,' I thought... :confused:

I went into the film with low expectations. I was surprised by how good an adaptation is and I look forward to part II.

I went in to this movie with little knowledge about the story. But having read my first couple of King books recently, I decided I was ready for a horror movie.

I thought "It" was wonderfully done. It didn't fall for some of the typical horror tropes like bad things only happening at night or in "spooky" places. It was far less predictable and the kids acting was excellent. There was some very good character development and story arcs.

Finally got round too watching this, why do I do it. Expecting an adaption of the book, what I get is something with elements of the book and it is in two parts.

Messed about with timeline, Beverley is too grown up, Bill already has silver, the kids aren't very well fleshed out. Not enough on the barrens nor are Ben's construction skills mentioned. I feel the producers missed a trick not portraying the times spend in the barrens as central too the story, specially the den and the meditation scene. The film didn't get across the bond between the group. Also not happy that Ben's nickname Haystacks was never used or Bill's Big Bill. No one apart from Pennywise told Richie too beep beep.

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward too the second part but unlike the Gunslinger that was so far away from the book it was easy to disassociate from it, this had too many elements of the book I was left slightly disappointed.

It's three hours since I put the trailer on, and am only now coming out from behind the settee!!!