Two things

Tim Murray

Through space, time and dimension
One - what is the proper usage, hyperdrive, or hyper drive? I've seen both used.

Two - has anyone heard of publishing a few pages of their upcoming sequel at the end of a freshly published book? Someone suggested the idea for a marketing ploy.

One -- whichever you like, as long as you're consistent. Hyperdrive is probably more common, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Two -- yes, it's done all the time. Big publishers, small publishers, self-publishers.

One -- whichever you like, as long as you're consistent. Hyperdrive is probably more common, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Two -- yes, it's done all the time. Big publishers, small publishers, self-publishers.
Thanks for the quick reply. Number two is new to me, what is the number of words usually printed?

Many times it's just a one-page blurb for the next book, but if they do an actual excerpt, it's generally the first chapter, or a prologue, from what I've seen.

The only problem with the excerpt thing, I think, is that means you need the sequel to be ready to go (written, edited, etc), otherwise you risk publishing an excerpt that might change at some point.

Totally this. I was tempted to do put the first 5 chapters from Awakening at the end of Gathering, thinking that those scenes were pretty much finished. But I've since gone back and made a few small but key edits to them. Better to just present finished work only.

Also, another consideration - those extra pages in a paperback will force up the price while reducing your earnings.

Hyperdrive would be best IMO.

And yes, plenty of authors add taster chapters at the end of their books. It's basically free advertising, especially in kindle.

@Brian G Turner the extra few pages in paperback would be pennies, if that, surely? I'd say it's probably worth it so long as you don't go mad.

I think having a teaser is a good tool at the end of the book. In an eBook format it costs you nothing (the delivery charge uptick would be minuscule), and the added pages allow for more KENP reads. The nice thing with the eBook one too, is you can upload a newer version eventually if you change anything in book two. With Explorations: Through the Wormhole I included the prologue for First Contact in it as a teaser, and think it worked well.

For my own series, I'm not sure I will do it, but I will have links to newsletters and to book two when it's available as well.

In my experience, hyperdrive is more common, but as was said above, as long as you're consistent.

And as was indicated, often a sequel chapter or scene is included at the end. I've even noticed them with a few audiobooks.

As an aside, I normally don't read or listen to the short intro for the next book/story, unless it's already available. I am not keen on cliffhangers, which is sort of what the chapter tends to leave.

I've also seen where they're just reaction shots to the next book, or some other book the publisher wants to get people to a state of "shutup and take my money"*

I prefer the shorter, one page, whatever it is. Mostly because I prefer a physical paper copy of the work and as the climax gets more climactic, have a "will they, won't they... finish to my satisfaction" debate with how many pages are left in my right hand.

The more pages in my right hand are taken up with extra bits, the more off my debate is.

The first time I read LOTR I didn't know there was appendices and was shocked when Return of the King ended halfway through the physical number of pages in my hands.

*Gotta love a good Fry quote.

Give it a "this is your tease" chapter heading.

[Bold ] Next installment: (book title) [Bold/ ]
[Italic ] (chapter title) [Italic/ ]​

The intro is usually just a brief announcement that x book is coming in month/year, and then the sample chapter begins, either lower down the same page, or sometimes on the next one.

In our library reading group there is lady who, if the book's a murder mystery, always reads the last page or two first - to find out who did it.

Imagine how confused she was a few months back when the last page or two was the last page or two of the first chapter of the author's next book!

Back