Author boards / tags / links

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Brian G Turner, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

Despite our efforts, our author boards do not accurately or comprehensively cover the wide range of authors we discuss here.

Therefore I've begun to implement is a tagging system, similar to what might be found on most blogs.

This should not only make it easier to find discussions about a particular author, it also means we can cover a wider range of authors - far more than would be possible to give author boards for.

You can see this process building up here: Search Tags | SFF Chronicles

I've opened up the tagging system so that anyone can now tag an author name to a discussion principally about that author - in other words, not general reading threads, but instead discussions specific to that author and their works.

If you want to use tags, please follow these simple guidelines:

1. Please tag author names only - no book titles, topics, or related information as tags
    2. Please put spaces between letters in a name. For example, a tag for JK Rowling would be "j k rowling"
    3. Please do not use full stops to denote letters - so J.K. Rowling is still "j k rowling"

There's also a feature with this system that allows me to automatically turn author names into links to their tags - where they exist. I'm going to experiment with turning this on later, on the grounds that it should make it easier to find discussions about specific authors, as well as encourage further discussion of them.

I also want to point out that I will still retain Author Boards for major authors and for chrons authors. However, there are some boards that have not seen activity in a year or more - in such instances, discussions of such authors will be tagged and those boards removed.

Any questions or problems, feel free to ask. :)

hopewrites and Gonk the Insane like this.
  2. Alexa

Alexa traveller space dreamer

Brian, would be possible to have the Author Boards in alphabetical order, please ? It's so frustrating whenever you look for a particular name and have to read all of them, just to make sure you didn't miss it by mistake.

3. Paul_C

Paul_C Well-Known Member

They are in alphabetical order (it caught me out too for a while) read left to right along a row and then back to the left and down a row.

4. Alexa

I feel really stupid now when I think how many times I read them up and down and never cross my mind to try like in a library. Thanks, Paul !:)

5. Brian G Turner

Ah, interesting - alphabetical used to mean by surname, but on electronic devices this is increasingly means by first name. The Author boards are done by the former, but the tags are automatically sorted by the latter.

6. Alexa

Brian, are you adding new names in the new system ? Can you add Michael J Sullivan for me ?:)

7. Brian G Turner

I think you can do it directly - in any discussion of Michael J Sullivan, there should be a link under the title for "tags".

However, if you can't just let me know and paste in any discussions below and I'll do it for you. :)

8. Alexa

I add it to my Age of Myth thread. Do I have to find all the threads and add the tag one by one ?

9. Brian G Turner

Excellent - well done. :)

And that's right - all threads need tagging individually. However, there's no rush to do it - I figure we do it as we see a need. :)

10. Alexa

Thanks, Brian ! It will be helpful for future researches. :)