Celebrating Avon (Paul Darrow)

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I've found myself watching a few videos on YouTube about Avaon from Blake's 7.

Firstly, here's one of a few of his quips:

Then here's the first in a short series of interviews (though much of the 1st minute is wasted in pointless visuals):

I love that quote

"When he gets done working ask him to prescribe something for a headache. Will you? I've got this shocking pain right behind the eyes.."

"Have you considered amputation?"

We were watching Future Boy Conan the other day, a scene in which a character is surrounded by folks with guns, the character raises her gun... and then we cut away to the sound of firing.

I called out, "Blake's 7!" (FBC predates Blake's 7 by several years, by the way).

Avon is a lot of fun. Perhaps a bit overused in the later seasons, but still a joy.

Oh yes 'Kerr Avon'

You want to love Blake but Avon generally becomes your favourite because he's the flawed character generally working towards his own ends but ultimately he always backs his companions. He's usually right about a situation (and he knows it) it's that sheer brilliance, that sinister smile coupled with that trait of being direct without coming across as ignorant.

Nearly everyone loves an antihero because we relate to them, most of us aren't shining examples of principled heroism, but we can be honourable and courageous sometimes.

Paul Darrow is an absolute delight in real life, such a cheerful and entertaining person he absolutely lights up the room.