Primordial reviews

Nick B

author Nick Bailey, formerly Quellist.
Phil Leader
Mar 07, 2017
Phil Leader rated it 5 stars

The first Liberator novel is a riot of noise, violence and fun, the summer blockbuster of the science fiction novel. This shorter story from the same universe shows a very different side, every bit as taut, dark and unsettling as Liberator is freewheeling, brash and stirring.

A vessel headed out to a distant star system comes across an ancient artifact in uncharted deep space together with an old damaged and apparently lifeless spaceship of unknown design. Despite misgivings the lure of salvage is too much for the crew to ignore. But they soon discover that although the ship may be derelict there is an entity there that has been waiting patiently for a long long time for visitors. For fresh meat.

Told from the point of view of XO Koby Solomon this is a terrific slice of science fiction horror, very much in the mould of something like Alien. Bailey plays the disorientation and claustrophobia of the derelict alien vessel for everything it is worth as well as the panic and paranoia of the salvage crew. Like the best horror stories it's never clear to the reader exactly what is going to happen next or where they - or the crew - ought to be looking: into the darkness ahead or over their shoulders?

There's really nothing to fault here. The change in pace from Liberator shows the breadth of imagination and story telling from Bailey (and his Liberator co-author Darren Bullock) will ensure that readers will want to keep reading.

Reactions: Vaz
*like Alien* the two words I need that will convince me its worth reading.

Gonna check it out :)

Thanks, I hope you love it. And now it's free, whats not to like!

Reactions: Vaz