British SF Magazines?

Serendipity

A Traditional Eccentric!
I suspect this may have been answered elsewhere, but am I right in thinking that Interzone** and Kraxon are the only British-based magazines* currently being published?

*I know the editor of Nature Futures is based in the UK, but the firm is owned by the company in the uSA.

** Black Static is a sister magazine to Interzone, which tends to the fantasy side of the speculative fiction spectrum.

Depends on what you mean. Kraxon is a specialized non-professional non-print zine, as far as I know (pays the equivalent of about four cents a word for flash from a restricted contributor pool?). There may be innumerable similar things. Interzone is a print zine which isn't technically a prozine (due to circulation, I think) but it's an "honorary" prozine and is the only one the UK has that I know of. On the sunny side, if the US has three print prozines (Analog, Asimov's, F&SF) then the UK "should" only have .6 print prozines, so the UK nearly doubles that. :) Plus, Australia, Canada, and other significantly English countries (while they have non-print/non-pro zines) have none. Anyway: the UK is relatively well-covered but, no, there's not much additional to read or get published in.

Many thanks Jo and J-Sun.

My 'investigation' started out as an idle question over a cup of coffee - what were the nationalities of the pro magazines listed on the SFWA site. As far as I can make out, all but two are from the USA*. The two are one from Canada and one from Australia. It was only natural to then ask what magazines were available in UK.

It looks like to me that the UK is falling behind these other countries in publishing science fiction short stories**.

I'm not sure of the reasons for this. Anyone any ideas?

* I would have expected the majority to be based in the USA due to relative population sizes alone, but the results were much more biased in favour of the USA than I expected.

** I haven't looked into the novels situation, so can't comment on that.

Not falling behind, I don't think. You specified SF so I haven't included any that don't focus on SF.

There is also:
Singularity
The Singularity, SF and Fantasy Fiction Magazine, London

Kzine
KZINE - Home Page

Future Fire
The Future Fire: Social Political Speculative Cyberfiction: index

Being pedantic, you could also include BSFA Vector, and BFS Horizons publications too.

That said, are you looking for PAID markets? Singularity is stand out but not yet pro paying. Kzine I think offers a token pay.

Many thanks for the heads up millymollymo. Much appreciated.

There is also the Far Horizons digital magazine - Far Horizons Magazine - which... um... I should have remembered... doh!

This makes me feel more comfortable with the state of the British Science Fiction.

Even so, given what I saw of the pro market, I still feel the British SF lags behind the USA's SF (after having taken into account relative population sizes).

I've had work published in Kzine and confirm that it does make a payment. It's not a lot but better than some pay. I've also found the editor to be very good even if he rejects a story. He takes the time to give his reasons, which can always make the rejection a little more palatable.

Has anyone come across Aphelion? I spotted them in the Writing Forum magazine last month. They're celebrating 20 years of publishing this year. That's no mean feat!

Has anyone come across Aphelion? I spotted them in the Writing Forum magazine last month. They're celebrating 20 years of publishing this year. That's no mean feat!
I had a story published there a few years ago. I haven't submitted since because I wasn't too keen on the screen layout - but looking at your link, I see they've improved things. Perhaps it's time to think again:)

2000AD, it's been in continuous publication since 1977 - find me another comic that can claim that, and one with a fictional character that's been in continuous print for the same time: Judge Dredd.

LOVECRAFTIANA publishes four times a year and has a variety of work, from heavy Lovecraft to just weird fiction. This international hard stock quarterly features very original stories (and artwork).

Attachments

• Lovecraftiana Oct 2018.jpg
    Lovecraftiana Oct 2018.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Lovecraftiana Aug 2017.jpg
    Lovecraftiana Aug 2017.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 266
With all the twists and turns going on in the science fiction market during the pandemic, I thought I would update my list British magazines that accept science fiction.

Currently open for submissions:
  • Interzone - submissions here - please note that currently it is anticipated it will cease publication after the current subscriptions have been completed.
  • Kraxon Magazine - submissions here - please note limited to members of SFFchronicles
  • Shoreline of Infinity - submissions here - please note they have themed mid-month submission windows
  • The Future Fire - submissions here
Uncertain when reopening for submissions:
  • ParSec - submissions here - currently closed but will have a submissions window open later this year
  • Etaerio SF - submissions via SFFchronicles when the window opens
  • Fission - BSFA annual magazine - keep a lookout on their website for the next open call
  • Kzine - submissions here - currently closed to submissions while they reduce their backlog
  • Compelling Science Fiction - submissions here - BUT they are currently closed to submissions with no obvious date for resumption.

Have I missed any?

Just to update you on Kzine magazine - their page says:

KZINE is currently closed to submissions and there are no plans for further issues. Sorry.​

:cry: