Space Mining Vehicles

Discussion in 'Art' started by AlexanderSen, Mar 15, 2017.

1. AlexanderSen

AlexanderSen Cosmic Ghost

Lately, I have been working on some designs for Space Mining Vehicles(SMVs).

The first of these designs is an Asteroid Grinder. It uses a saw with diamond hard acorn-like teeth to cut rocks/asteroids into smaller pieces. In regards to the design I was debating on whether it should have one or two drill arms. IRL from my observations on there is usually only one arm. Correct me if I am wrong(are there any physics experts here?), but I figure probably having two weakens the amount of torque that can be deliver to that arm, probably because if the power generated by the motor/engine is of the same source, then with two arms it means the available energy is divided in two which is why usually it is only one arm. But, two arms look cooler and can better communicate/express the main purpose and function of this machine. So, which one should I choose to go with?

SMV-AsteroidGrinder-1b.jpg SMV-AsteroidGrinder-1c.jpg

The second vehicle I have designed is an Asteroid Crusher which using it's multiple small arms to feed the mouth of the vehicle, which is in the middle of a cone scoop, crushers the small asteroids into finer pebbles and dust. The piece not finished yet as I am doing this piece in a setting - I blocked in the asteroids but I still have to paint them... :p

SMV-AsteroidCrusher-2.jpg

The Crusher can either have a container attached to the back of the Crusher or paired with another SMV that is a container-type vehicle to collect the crusher rock and refined pebble dust.

My next designs would probably be the cargo type vehicle that carries the crushed rock/space pebbles to a refinery for processing and maybe even a giant refinery-type vehicle.

Harpo, EJ Heijnis and Starbeast like this.
  2. EJ Heijnis

EJ Heijnis Inscribinator

I like your designs. As far as the one/two arms issue, if this thing is working on asteroids about its own size, two arms would let the craft hold on to its target and keep it stationary while the grinders break it up. One arm applying pressure would cause the asteroid to float away, forcing the craft to pursue to maintain pressure. And I agree that having two arms makes the craft's purpose easier to recognize. Good stuff!

3. AlexanderSen

AlexanderSen Cosmic Ghost

Thanks for the comments EJ. Here is a redesign of the original SMV Grinder, but this time with a grappling-type arm which the SMV can use to grab onto the asteroid it wants to cut.

Attached Files:

EJ Heijnis likes this.
  4. EJ Heijnis

EJ Heijnis Inscribinator

I think you've made the vehicle's purpose even more clear. I can clearly picture the SMV at work with its arms moving. Plus, it just looks cool. Great job!