Krebb's Cycle could have powered early life

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Very interesting article, not least because it suggests that the development of life is an ordinary part of the mechanics of the universe, where conditions allow - rather than an exception to them:

Metabolism may be older than life itself and start spontaneously

A set of chemical reactions occurring spontaneously in Earth’s early chemical environments could have provided the foundations upon which life evolved.

The discovery that a version of the Krebs cycle, which occurs in most living cells, can proceed in the absence of cellular proteins called enzymes suggests that metabolism is older than life itself.

Metabolism describes the fiendishly complex network of reactions that enable organisms to generate energy and the molecules they need to survive, grow and reproduce.

The Krebs cycle – also known as the tricarboxylic acid (TCA) cycle – is at the heart of this network. It describes a circular chain of reactions that generates precursors of amino acids and lipids used to build proteins and membranes, and molecules that help the cell to produce its energy.

Interesting - I've been reading a lot about the Kreb's cycle because there is some research suggesting it might be causing ME.

I always love hearing a new theory that jumbles the order we believe things evolved in. Language before intelligence, intelligence before self awareness, metabolism before genes, etc.

Telepathy before speech. 20,000 year-old dry dust from a lightless airless cave, churns out life in a matter of hours - just add water.inKrebbible.*

Back