Helliconia Spring by Brian Aldiss

Esioul

The weird one
I've just started reading this book- my excuse for having the time to read is because I'm ill at home- and so far I'm quite enjoying it. I've read the Yuli prelude and quite enjoyed it. Anyone else read it and have any thoughts?

Long time ago, I've read the three books Winter, Summer and Spring in 3 working days. I've enjoyed them a lot, and found the concept of cycling evolution and devolution of a specie to adapt the weather really interesting

Yes, I chose to start the first one as I thought the concept sounded interesting. I'm hoping for an original read.

I believe I began to read Winter once many, many years ago but I recall that the lights went out and my pitiful candle gave out just enough light to frustrate me and force me to quit reading. I think it was Dad's book at the time and I had to give it back and being a fickle teenager soon forgot about it. I don't recall anything about it at all. What type of book is it?

The basic plot is Terrans observing life on Helliconia, a terra-like planet where due to extreme changes in climates, all life form evolve and devolve with the change of seasons. In winter, proto-humans are closer to Neanderthal than Cro-Magnon and in summer they look and act as XVth century Venitians.
If you can lay an hand on it now in your librairy, get them, they're really good books.

I finished the first one yesterday. It was weird, but I enjoyed it. I found the idea of the two illnesses which dramatically changed people's body dimensions so they could better survive in new conditions interesting- although rather unfeasible.

I read all of these and liked them. They had a sort of court intrigue woven into the epic story that Aldiss spins. I did like the way the virus worked as a literary device, creating a symbiosis between enemies.

I also thought that the earth-view of the story that unfolds from the space station--a parallel story in all three books--was very interesting, especially in regard to evolution.

I remember Summer reading a bit slower than the other two, but, overall, the series was an enjoyable read.

I read these books many years ago and, although, I don't recall a lot about the actual story, I remember enjoying them. One particular thing that sticks out within my befuddled memory is the fact that Helliconia Spring must have the longest prologue I've ever read (ninety odd pages long if I recall):)

That's right. It was a kid and his father hunting, if I remember. They get attacked by phagors and the father is enslaved while the kid gets away.

I also liked the way this series dealt with religion and science, particularly in Spring.

This series is probably my favourite from this Author that I've read so far. I think it is an absolute masterpiece and a glaring ommission from the SF Masterworks series.

I think i have read Helliconia Summer a long time ago. I remember enjoying it alot, but for the life of me i cannot remember the story. I shall have to did these up and reread them.

My apologies for the necropost, but i thought that i'd bump this thread as i recently bought the Gollancz omnibus edition of this series. So far i have read Yuli's story but i wondered what others thought of the books. I'm enjoying it so far but i must confess that it's not my usual style of SF.

It's quite slow moving which some readers may find off putting. Plus, characters come and go as the real focus of the book is on the planet itself and it's unusual solar cycle and how it's life forms have evolved accordingly.

I hope to read it again one day but I don't know when I'll find the time. :(

Second greatest work of SF after TBOTNS.

I wouldn't entirely agree that it's "slow", although I can see it's not "fast". But for me it's simply outstanding. I can't recommend it enough. One of the very, very few books I regularly re-read.
I'm wracking my brains trying to think of what the acronim "TBOTNS" stands for...

When I said it was slow, I don't mean that it was too slow, just that some readers might find it so. I thought the trilogy was oustanding.

I read these a loooooong time ago but remember them as being very good and I shall probably be getting back around to re-reading them shortly as part of my recent decision to read through the Masterworks list.

Oh and I'm stumped by TBOTNS as well :eek: