Discussion thread for 100-Word Anonymous Writing Challenge. March 2017.

I went with Last Shot, which stumbled, bleeding and full of lead, into the saloon. It got the better of my other favourites, who lay scattered in the dusty street outside - Low Noon, Greater Good Ghosts and Devil Ether.

Tip o the hat to Farntfar, Victoria for their efforts in civilizing the frontier! (y)

Last edited:
Really tough. I could have listed any story here (and suspect my list would be different if I did it an hour from now). But it is now, so here we are:

Shortlist:
Where Credit's Due, Last Shot, Low Noon, War Lance, Smoke signal

Finalists:
I'd Give It Ten Minutes Or So... - I LOLd at the closing line, and smiled throughout.

Greater Good Ghosts - I thought this was a really nicely written, and effective, character study. Nice drama.

Devil Ether - Very nice piece, with a funny, surprise ending. Really good.

As I am a kid at heart, I went for: I'd Give It Ten Minutes Or So... I really needed that LOL, so thank you!

I'd like to guess authors, but I'd cast a vote for putting an author's list up, before voting begins. It's just too hard (IMO) without one. Thanks for the wonderful hosting job, farntfar! And thank you to farntfar and Victoria for the wonderful reviews. Best of luck in the voting, all! :)

THE BEST

Greater Good Ghosts
Knocking on Heaven's Door
I'd Give It Ten Minutes Or So...

BUT I VOTED FOR

Last shot

I didn't enter. Having a bit of a dry patch writing-wise. But I read and voted for "Low Noon". Well done all.

Thanks for hosting Farntfar, and for the lovely commentary Victoria.

My vote when to Fear and Loathing ... One of my favourite movies and I really enjoyed this story, well done Author.

Nice entries, everyone.

Just spotted these are back up. I went with Where Credit's Due. It just sounded old westy to me :)

Lots of good entries, some pretty wild. I voted for Damnation, but Greater Good Ghosts was a close second.

Voted for Fear and Loathing in Tombstone, Arizona. You stole my idea, you jerk.

Sorry, I'm totally disorganized this round.

I liked the one with the guy who couldn't die, and the one with the ghost shooter (I assume the shooter was a ghost. Unvisable dude shooting unvisible bullets that leave no mark on the victims... Sounds like a ghost shooter to me.)

The guys playing cards waiting for the outhouse was HillArious! Total blind side. Which makes the title more fun on a reread. (That one has Starbeastian qualities to it, but I'm more prone to suspect it's Cathbad or mosaix)

I voted for Low Noon because of all the ones who did fear the way I feel it, it was the most westerny Louise Lamont or Orson Scott Card Saturday Morning cereal western westerny.

Or at least that's what I remember of my reasoning from last night.

If you want to play the guessing game with the list of authors, here it is.
If not, just page past it quickly. ;-)

Cory Swanson
Starbeast
Luiglin
Vaz
Johnnyjet
Farntfar
Cat's Cradle
Mosaix
Ashleyne
TheDustyZebra
Coast
Victoria Silverwolf
Hopewrites
Dannymcg
Chrispenycate
Cathbad
vonHelldorf

My Guesses (I may have a few wrong.)

Cory Swanson Knocking on Heaven's Door
Starbeast Gunman in the Night
Luiglin A hawk with no name
Vaz Last shot
Johnnyjet The Far Horizon
Farntfar Fear and Loathing in Tombstone, Arizona
Cat's Cradle Greater Good Ghosts
Mosaix Devil Ether
Ashleyne Damnation
TheDustyZebra I'd Give It Ten Minutes Or So...
Coast Where Credit’s Due
Victoria Silverwolf Low Noon
Hopewrites The Ballad of Iron Bladder
Dannymcg Smoke signal
Chrispenycate The keen eye of the little yellow cardsharp
vonHelldorf War lance.

Shortlist
Last Shot
Greater Good Ghosts
Devil Ether
The Far Horizon

But my vote to Where credit's due