A.I.: escapes to outside world by evolving rapidly

JustinRC

I got this book around the time I was 14, which would have been 1995ish. It was a dollar at the dollar store. I liked the premise and the cover, which I believe was a biomechanical fly or mosquito. The book started with a person talking to the A.I. at a terminal I believe. I believe that it then escaped by evolving itself through a multitude of more and more complex lifeforms and I believe it ultimately became an android I believe that simply wanted to meet its creator. I want to reread it now that I am older and see if I still enjoy it. At that time I was reading through whatever I could get my hands on. I passed it on to my Mom and never saw it again.

There are a whole bunch of stories in that vein. Here are a couple:

"Colossus: The Forbin Project" Colossus is the AI; it takes over the world. There were sequels!
"The Adolescence of P1" Computer program takes over the world, computer by computer. It is 'killed...' or so they think!

--Paul E Musselman

There are a whole bunch of stories in that vein. Here are a couple:

"Colossus: The Forbin Project" Colossus is the AI; it takes over the world. There were sequels!
"The Adolescence of P1" Computer program takes over the world, computer by computer. It is 'killed...' or so they think!

--Paul E Musselman

Thanks, but neither of those are the novel. I'm trying to figure out more details, but so far to no avail.

I got this book around the time I was 14, which would have been 1995ish. It was a dollar at the dollar store. I liked the premise and the cover, which I believe was a biomechanical fly or mosquito. The book started with a person talking to the A.I. at a terminal I believe. I believe that it then escaped by evolving itself through a multitude of more and more complex lifeforms and I believe it ultimately became an android I believe that simply wanted to meet its creator. I want to reread it now that I am older and see if I still enjoy it. At that time I was reading through whatever I could get my hands on. I passed it on to my Mom and never saw it again.
I've thought more about it, in my occasional obsession. It was likely printed in the 90s. The artificial intelligence was in a lab and escaped, I believe, by evolving itself into a virus and got out through the air ducts and into the swamp. It then became an insect, I think it was a mosquito, before evolving eventually into a humanoid.

and answered:

The Deus Machine by Pierre Ouellette

When I read this query, my first thought was also "The Deus Machine". The main difference between the OQ and The Deus Machine is that I don't recall the AI actually "escaping" the lab in the creatures that it produced, just that it produced them. In fact, I am not sure that it was an AI in the computer at all. If I recall, the computer was analyzing the DNA, and the "Junk DNA" acted like a computer virus, which caused the computer to start creating monsters. And I also don't recall it producing a humanoid, just the bug creatures. But my memory of the ending is fuzzy, so who knows.

That being said, if this is not the book you are looking for, it is still a good read. The steps whereby the AI takes control of the DNA lab and starts cranking out monsters is very well explained, and almost believable.

Back