Why Do You Like to talk about and Recommend books that You've Read?

Islandia by Austin Tappan Wright . Good stuff and definite worth looking up and reading.:cool:(y)

If you read a good book that you love , don't keep yourself , tell the world about it. . :)

What would be nice is if they brought back into print all the good old heroic fantasy novels written in the 1960's and 70's A lot of good stuff there. :cool:

Fro example , Robert Adams Horse Clan novels of which I have most of the series.:cool:

One day I was in the bookstore the week prior to Christmas , and In Science fction and fast section, I stuck up a conversation with a woman who was looking for book for her daughter . I handed her The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett . About 3 months later I ran into her again and she thanked me . Her daugheter loved Terry Pratchett and to that point, had read eight more of his books as a result. :cool:

Last edited:
Good old Terry, spent Christmas Day 2019 watching four hours of "Hogfather", about the only thing on that day worth watching, the year before was even better, over four days the above was shown along with "The Colour Of Magic/The Light Fantastic" and "Going Postal"!!!

On my bookstore trips, I will on occasion, get into conversations with the bookstore sellars. In those conversations I make it point introduce recommend books and tel about write that are great and no on their stor bookshelves. Sometimes they themselves actually buy the books Ive suggest. :)

On this forum ,ive long lost count of the number book recommendations that ive made .:)

In my case I think it has to do with the fact that I enjoy sharing the things I like and I feel good when others discover them... Like, instead of hoarding the knowledge and cultural resources they all get to join in on the fun. There is also an element of selfish molding the world to our own image. Like some sort of cultural battle where in the early 90s you were a loser nerd if you enjoyed certain topics and after many individual battles in 2020 being nerdy is interesting and more positive than negative. So yes, besides sharing culture there is this element of molding the world to my liking :inlove:

Another book ive been reccoemding of late. The Humanoids by Jack Williamson . A great book by a great writer. :cool:(y)

Too true, a great book by a great writer, they even used that idea in the film "I, Robot" with Will Smith.
If your interested a eight volume set of all his short stories is published by NESFA press.

Too true, a great book by a great writer, they even used that idea in the film "I, Robot" with Will Smith.
If your interested a eight volume set of all his short stories is published by NESFA press.

It's a great cautionary tale and very chilling stuff . His career went from 1928 to 2006 and I think he wrote almost to year he died. He invented the terms Genetic Engineering and Terraforming. Ill check out those short story collections.:cool:

They did comic book adaptation of his story Born of the Sun (written 1934 ) Slipstream adventure in Science Fiction 1976 #3 . The story and comic left quite an impression on me, at that time , I didn't know that Williamson had writer the story it was based on, I hadn't note the author name. I never forgot it. :cool:

Fred Saberhagen who gives the Berserker series did a Science fction anthology book The Williamson effect. one the stories is titled Bad Machines . In that story the Humanoids meet the Berserkers . :cool:

Humanoids Vs Berserkers, now that is something I'd very much like to see!
P.S. I've already seen Daleks Vs Cybermen!

Humanoids Vs Berserkers, now that is something I'd very much like to see!
P.S. I've already seen Daleks Vs Cybermen!

It was a pretty good story too . :cool:

Yes , Daleks vs Cyberman. II especially loved the conversion between Dalek Sec an Cyber leader . It was hilarious ! :D:ROFLMAO:

I recently got on to Quora and I find myself being something of a stuck record. There are a lot of questions such as "underrated Sci Fi media" or recommend me a book or author. My answer is pretty generic and I am recommending Iain. M. Banks, Neal Asher, Alistair Reynolds a lot, with individual novels such as David Williams's When the English Fall and Adrian Tchaikovsky's Dogs of War. (Babylon 5 is always my TV recommendation.)

It's nice to be able to recommend your favourite books to people. The trouble with online answers is that feedback is not often available and while it is nice to recommend a book, it something much better to be able to talk about it. (That's why I love the Chrons so much.) Besides, who doesn't like to talk about themselves or something that they're passionate about.

I recently got on to Quora and I find myself being something of a stuck record. There are a lot of questions such as "underrated Sci Fi media" or recommend me a book or author. My answer is pretty generic and I am recommending Iain. M. Banks, Neal Asher, Alistair Reynolds a lot, with individual novels such as David Williams's When the English Fall and Adrian Tchaikovsky's Dogs of War. (Babylon 5 is always my TV recommendation.)

It's nice to be able to recommend your favourite books to people. The trouble with online answers is that feedback is not often available and while it is nice to recommend a book, it something much better to be able to talk about it. (That's why I love the Chrons so much.) Besides, who doesn't like to talk about themselves or something that they're passionate about.

As ive said before, when you recommend book your making motive difference in the world. :cool:

He is one hell of a good writer, very good but very, very gritty fantasys, certainly not in the LOTR school of writing!

I hate recommending books to people in real life because nobody ever actually reads what’s recommended to them. I went through a stage of buying extra copies of Iain M Banks books and giving them to people who I knew would love them, but...

I am always taking notes on what people recommend to me, though.

I only discuss books online now. None of my friends or family read (even my wife) and I’ve always found everyone I’ve met in real life who does read to be annoying. They tend to act as though reading makes them better than other people and I can’t stand that trait. Or they’re just... wet.

tried a few reading groups etc. in my youth and it’s just not for me!

I hate recommending books to people in real life because nobody ever actually reads what’s recommended to them. I went through a stage of buying extra copies of Iain M Banks books and giving them to people who I knew would love them, but...

I am always taking notes on what people recommend to me, though.

I only discuss books online now. None of my friends or family read (even my wife) and I’ve always found everyone I’ve met in real life who does read to be annoying. They tend to act as though reading makes them better than other people and I can’t stand that trait. Or they’re just... wet.

tried a few reading groups etc. in my youth and it’s just not for me!

Even if they never read what recommend , never let that discourage you. :)