A Growing indifference to Cinema Going

1) Expense. Movie tickets cost proportionately more than ever before. It isn't just inflation: By my calculations, inflation would have the price around $10 - $12, not $15 - $20. The snackbar is so overpriced as to be utterly ridiculous. In my youth and early adulthood, you had to arrive at the theater early, because you had to have time to wait in the long lines to get your drinks and snacks! Now, I bet most places feel lucky if they have six snackbar customers before a movie starts!

I went to see Gravity on release weekend on a 3D IMAX screen in Abingdon, TN, and it was $10 per ticket. The same ticket in the UK would have cost me upwards of £16 ($21).

Concessions in the UK are obscenely overpriced, too. You're looking at around £8 (just under $11) for a fizzy drink and a bag of popcorn, both of which literally cost pennies.

I went to see Gravity on release weekend on a 3D IMAX screen in Abingdon, TN, and it was $10 per ticket. The same ticket in the UK would have cost me upwards of £16 ($21).

Concessions in the UK are obscenely overpriced, too. You're looking at around £8 (just under $11) for a fizzy drink and a bag of popcorn, both of which literally cost pennies.

My tickets, locally, cost %15.50 - because I'm old. Regular tickets are $18.00, and children's are $10.50.

No, like good businessmen, they'll change.

rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif
rotfl.gif

The IMAX cinemas in my neck of the woods (Birmingham, UK) are roughly the same prices (although there are concessions); but as you say the real profit margin for these guys is drinks and snacks. Not only that but I have noticed for some time that they pipe popcorn aromas through the air-con system in each cinema in order to get your hunger-pangs going into the red zone and thus spending money on things you hadn't really considered.

But of course its all down to supply and demand. If people are willing to pay these silly prices then the corporations will continue to rip us off.

I recently saw this film tv and liked it far less. It really didn't have much in the way of a story.

Oh god yeah. Gravity was total bobbins. I was so let down. It was so pretty, and the sense of vastness was very well done in 3D, but the story? What a pile of nonsense.

But of course its all down to supply and demand. If people are willing to pay these silly prices then the corporations will continue to rip us off.

Tell me about it. A mate of mine insists on buying gross cinema hotdogs and popcorn for a billion pounds instead of going to any one of the very good restaurants which surround the cinema (and the passable ones, and even the junk ones).

I so like getting snacks to take in with me. Unfortunately, by the time I pay for the drink (caffeine-aholic; can't go 2 hours without), I'm broke!

Oh god yeah. Gravity was total bobbins. I was so let down. It was so pretty, and the sense of vastness was very well done in 3D, but the story? What a pile of nonsense.

Tell me about it. A mate of mine insists on buying gross cinema hotdogs and popcorn for a billion pounds instead of going to any one of the very good restaurants which surround the cinema (and the passable ones, and even the junk ones).

Fortunately the IMAX near me isn't too fussed about bringing in your own snacks (some cinemas do ask for a bag check!) So I will usually take some Walkers Crisps, a couple of KitKats, or packet of Revels/Minstrels/Maltesers and a bottled diet coke to keep me going. And then its straight down the chippie or Indian after the show is over.

IMAX won't get a penny out of me other than the entrance fee

The theaters I know of will throw you out if they catch you with snack items they don't sell. I even know of one person who was banned (I believe it was for six months).

The magic of the cinema is alive and well!
Particularly in the winter I still really enjoy going to the cinema. Of course you have to try to keep your expectations down if you go based on publicity rather than reviews. I watched plenty of great movies in 2016. Not so much this year. I agree tickets are a bit overpriced and I almost never buy drinks there.

The magic of the cinema is alive and well!
Particularly in the winter I still really enjoy going to the cinema. Of course you have to try to keep your expectations down if you go based on publicity rather than reviews. I watched plenty of great movies in 2016. Not so much this year. I agree tickets are a bit overpriced and I almost never buy drinks there.

The only think more outrageous then the ticket prices are the concession prices .:unsure:

Last edited:
I go for sweet popcorn because it actually tastes nice; I've never worked out why people like salty popcorn, as you say it just tastes of salt.

As for why there are not other alternatives I think its because cinemas are a bit stuck in their ways. You've got the "high class" ones where the tickets cost way more, but you've almost got a full catering service side to the food; and then you've got your regular which haven't really changed all that much in what they offer other than to have potentially branched out for nachos.

Thing is cinemas are seen as "fun" times and fun is fun food and sweets not apples and muesli bars

Actually going to the cinema for a mid morning or mid afternoon matinee is often a joy, primarily because the annoying kids are at school, and/or most adults are at work. So get the cinema almost to myself - and that's when they don't mind taking your own food in because its just not worth the time, money or effort to do their own for such a relatively small footfall.

That's one of the pleasures of being a self-employed consultant :)

Thing is cinemas are seen as "fun" times and fun is fun food and sweets not apples and muesli bars
Some squirrels might disagree.

Yes, I expect unhealthy popcorn, hotdogs and cheap burgers. I don't expect three course meals. However, one is appealing to the "yooth" market with less disposable income, the other to 30+ something couples with dual incomes (and possibly no kids.)

When our children were younger and money was tight, we used to buy sweets and drinks at the newsagents and sneak them inside. Now, I don't think they even stop you. I think there was a civil court case which decided they had no right to stop anyone.

Back