A Growing indifference to Cinema Going

I've actually been going to the cinema a lot more than I used to in the past year and a half. I've always liked going, but just never really did all that much until I started dating my boyfriend. He loves going to the movies so it's something we've enjoyed going to together.
It's weird how much the place has changed, too. Now they have a bar in the place that does movie-themed cocktails and they just installed big recliner chairs.

The Multiplex Cinema near me has , a Bar, a Restaurants , Food served in the theater. In last two years its changed alot.

My biggest annoyance at the Cinema by a HUGE margin is the price of the food. £7.50 for a hotdog and a coke.... I mean really?

I have two kids and if I take them to a showing and get everyone hotdogs and sweets etc you are lucky to get change from £40. That's significantly more than what a DVD would cost.

I would rather pay more for the showing and less for the ood, I understand they are subsidising the showings but there must be a better model. I think it is worse where I live as there is one large cinema and nothing else unless you wanted a 40 minute drive so they have a monopoly.

Another minor annoyance are that often there are two members of staff trying to process hundreds of people - which I am sure must be against Health and Safety laws.

That being said, I do enjoy the cinema. Mainly because I like surround sound and a huge screen to watch!

Do you think that as we get older we're turning into grumpy "Victor Meldrew" types?

Everything was always better in "my day!" Although I'm not really sure it was to be honest!

I went to the cinema about a week ago to see "Rogue One", a film that's been around for months now; but still the cinema was still about half-full. I didn't bother with food or drinks - far too expensive! And even though there was a message on-screen saying "please switch off your mobile and tablet device", no one did (although I did switch mine to mute/vibrate). And as the film began there were about 9 "patrons" all playing silly-buggers with their phones lights, waving them around like light-sabres, and never shutting the hell up!

Did I see any staff around? Did I fishhooks!

My old, woe begotten CRT television died on me last week and I've been forced into this century with a new one. I must say with the size of the screen and the quality of the picture makes the idea of putting up with all the daft beggars in the cinema less and less appealing.

My old, woe begotten CRT television died on me last week and I've been forced into this century with a new one. I must say with the size of the screen and the quality of the picture makes the idea of putting up with all the daft beggars in the cinema less and less appealing.

Absolutely!

Home Cinema, is a glorious invention! I only have a smallish 46" SmartTV in my living room; and a 32'er in the bedroom; all hooked up to my Qnap NASbox over the local network, rigged with all manner of speakers and amps for an almost perfect cinema-like experience! (I did ask the wife to dress up as an usherette, standing in the corner of the room carrying a tray of ice creams, but she hit me round the head with an old Agatha Christie book she was reading!)

Absolutely!

Home Cinema, is a glorious invention! I only have a smallish 46" SmartTV in my living room; and a 32'er in the bedroom; all hooked up to my Qnap NASbox over the local network, rigged with all manner of speakers and amps for an almost perfect cinema-like experience! (I did ask the wife to dress up as an usherette, standing in the corner of the room carrying a tray of ice creams, but she hit me round the head with an old Agatha Christie book she was reading!)

Be grateful it wasn't a Dickens. You'd've been concussed!

I was going to see Guardians of the Galaxy but I just didn't feel like it.

It is good, but nothing ever lives up to the hype surrounding these things. However, if you looked at film-going as a hobby, and compared it to supporting a sports team, or musical group, or actively doing some kind of sport, or gliding, then the cost is insignificant. I'd say go and see it. You could wait for the release on cable, but you might get hit, crossing the road, by a bus tomorrow and never ever see it.

I enjoy going to the cinema, especially for the good-looking films. The likes of Avatar, Guardians of the Galaxy, LOTR, Studio Ghibli etc are best seen and heard at the cinema in my opinion.

I live in a town with a population of 120,000, and there are 3 big cinemas within 5 miles of each other, plus the Film Theatre, which shows independent and foreign cinema. The whole of North Staffordshire has a population of about 450,000, so since Cineworld joined Odeon and Vue last year, there's a bit of a cinema-war going on. Cineworld and Odeon are £5 for an adult ticket, and every seat in Vue will soon be a big recliner seat. They're great for chilling out on, but the refurbishment hasn't won me over yet - solid floors and leather seats have replaced the previous carpets and softer material, so sound from fellow cinema-goers travels a lot more...

I was also contemplating the King Arthur film, but it's not getting great reviews .

I used to watch Siskel and Ebert for two reasons: 1) They had the best clips. 2) Whatever movies they gave two thumbs down to were always the best! :)

Back