A Growing indifference to Cinema Going

They only really make money from the concession stand.
I remember going to see a movie and I had my coat in my arm and they checked to see if I was smuggling in food.

I was offended!

They only really make money from the concession stand.
I remember going to see a movie and I had my coat in my arm and they checked to see if I was smuggling in food.

I was offended!
I'd be very offended by that kind of treatment. :mad:

I'd be very offended by that kind of treatment. :mad:
The manager prodded the usher guy--a younger guy to go up to me to check. I never eat food in the theater--I am totally absorbed by watching the movie (unlike at home since I can stop it).
Was very unwelcome attitude from the management.

When I was going to the cinema regularly a few years ago we sometimes would buy sweets / treats from a corner shop before going in. I can see why people get checked if they are firm on no outside food. But doesn't justify excessive concession pricing. Popcorn and cola should be quite cheap stuff. IF the cinema needs that to keep open that is a different matter.
Most people eat their food during the trailers. If there were no trailers probably there would be little concession purchasing.

When I was going to the cinema regularly a few years ago we sometimes would buy sweets / treats from a corner shop before going in. I can see why people get checked if they are firm on no outside food. But doesn't justify excessive concession pricing. Popcorn and cola should be quite cheap stuff. IF the cinema needs that to keep open that is a different matter.
Most people eat their food during the trailers. If there were no trailers probably there would be little concession purchasing.
I suspect well run theaters could maybe make it on box office, but it's the concessions which make the real dollars. The mark up (maybe 10x?) is where the gravy in the business comes from. --- I'm more familiar with how a bowling alley is run. I was an acquaintance of a fairly large bowling alley manager. (32 lanes) And he said that he was thrilled to break even on the bowling. It was the concessions, especially the beer, where the profit was made.

9 dollars a bag for popcorn. Ridiculous.:mad:

I suspect well run theaters could maybe make it on box office, but it's the concessions which make the real dollars. The mark up (maybe 10x?) is where the gravy in the business comes from. --- I'm more familiar with how a bowling alley is run. I was an acquaintance of a fairly large bowling alley manager. (32 lanes) And he said that he was thrilled to break even on the bowling. It was the concessions, especially the beer, where the profit was made.
So it was more like a bar with bowling lanes?

So it was more like a bar with bowling lanes?
No, it was a serious bowling alley, but the bar made the money. My two favorite sports, golf and bowling, are the two sports where drinking while playing isn't considered a serious handicap, so beer and other alcoholic beverages are not only available but pushed.

Back