mecha manga

writeshiek33

i keep having this dream of new anime. wandering anybody know good mecha manga to to read or aiinme to watch. this for research on how write manga style comics stories. I also need pointers on culture regarding aliens species names and human names in sf. I am trying to think outside the box hoping to publish through 3rd party eventually if my 1st comic successful.

There really isn't much help someone can give on pointers of a alien culture. They always come from the writers mind. As far as trying to create a culture for a species you can always study a non-fiction tribe or not well known race and add your own twist. You can even mix ideas from multiple real existing cultures to create your own. Just make sure you keep good notes to maintain consistency. If you are to have multiple alien species, I would use very different culture type as reference to give each their own voice/feel. Example: Using English and American culture isn't all that different. Mexican and Spanish, isn't all that different.

Note: Im not a big manga fan so take my advise with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
"Lelouch of the Rebellion" is an incredible mecha anime (although it has a lot more than just mechas), as is "Knights of Sidonia", and they're both pretty outside the box. Evangelion is more standard, but although everyone says it's good, I'm not convinced. Give it a look all the same. I hear Gurren Lagan is bonkers, but well worth the watch (I haven't seen that one, I'll admit).

I'm assuming you have the artistic element covered? If your research is only about the writing part of it, I'd say to read manga rather than watch anime, and make sure the manga is translated well. If you want to know how the panel-to-panel narration is handled, manga is where it's at.