Anyone for Talking About Robert E. Howard?

i want to reread his books ,marvel with Roy Thomas did some good adaptions of Conan,

I WISH HE WROTE 10 MORE

If Robert E. Howard could have seen the impact that he has had on the fantasy genre, the writers that he influenced and the level of popularity that his works have with todays fans , he would have been amazed . Howard touched alot of lives . :)

Last edited:
What I find amusing is that Conan, as a character, seems more intelligent than Gandalf or Dumbledore. They just come across as shallow characters stuffed into the old wise wizard roles.

What I find amusing is that Conan, as a character, seems more intelligent than Gandalf or Dumbledore. They just come across as shallow characters stuffed into the old wise wizard roles.

John Thiel wrote, "His characters don't fit the description of good men at all. His heroes cut men down in their tracks and sell out the bandits they congregate with. The only morality in them is "stay alive".

Can't speak for Dumbledore since I haven't read those books, but Gandalf might appear to be lacking intelligence, Psi, because he takes the moral dimension into account. Conan would just use the Ring for his advantage, right? If he became a Dark Lord, he'd have no problem with that, would he?

Conan would just use the Ring for his advantage, right? If he became a Dark Lord, he'd have no problem with that, would he?

Conan's morality is kind of rubbery but does seem to evolve somewhat with age, from devil may care self-interest to a somewhat caring cynicism.

I have only read two HP books but I finished LOTR and asked myself once I finished, "I can't believe I read the whole thing! Why?" LOL

John Thiel wrote, "His characters don't fit the description of good men at all. His heroes cut men down in their tracks and sell out the bandits they congregate with. The only morality in them is "stay alive".

Can't speak for Dumbledore since I haven't read those books, but Gandalf might appear to be lacking intelligence, Psi, because he takes the moral dimension into account. Conan would just use the Ring for his advantage, right? If he became a Dark Lord, he'd have no problem with that, would he?

Not so. Conan is unwilling to be anyones or anythings slave . If he knew the seductive qualities of the Ring, He'd destroy it.

My impression is that Conan had more street smarts then either of them.:);)

Because of his dread of magic Conan would have killed both of them out of hand and left their bodies where they lay.

I think Conan would like them beaus they are good Wizards.

Friends,
I loved Howard's stories as a young man in Grade School and High School.
I used to wish that I could be more like Conan—years later I realized that dreaming, introspecting and reading fiction already meant that one wasn't very Conanesque.
Today I find the stories a bit boring, but I look back on them with nostalgia.
One of my favorite time machine phantasies is to take a 19'' color TV, a VHS player and the movie "The Outlaw Josie Wales" and have Howard rewrite it as a novel WITHOUT using Lone Watie as comic relief.
{The movie is the only one I ever saw that got the multiple pistol aspect of Kansas Border War conflict right...
And some Howard's Westerns were quite good…}