Anyone for Talking About Robert E. Howard?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
I WISH HE WROTE 10 MORE
If Robert E. Howard could have seen the impact that he has had on the fantasy genre, the writers that he influenced and the level of popularity that his works have with todays fans , he would have been amazed . Howard touched alot of lives . :)

Last edited:

psikeyhackr

Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental
What I find amusing is that Conan, as a character, seems more intelligent than Gandalf or Dumbledore. They just come across as shallow characters stuffed into the old wise wizard roles.

Extollager

What I find amusing is that Conan, as a character, seems more intelligent than Gandalf or Dumbledore. They just come across as shallow characters stuffed into the old wise wizard roles.
John Thiel wrote, "His characters don't fit the description of good men at all. His heroes cut men down in their tracks and sell out the bandits they congregate with. The only morality in them is "stay alive".

Can't speak for Dumbledore since I haven't read those books, but Gandalf might appear to be lacking intelligence, Psi, because he takes the moral dimension into account. Conan would just use the Ring for his advantage, right? If he became a Dark Lord, he'd have no problem with that, would he?

psikeyhackr

Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental
Conan would just use the Ring for his advantage, right? If he became a Dark Lord, he'd have no problem with that, would he?
Conan's morality is kind of rubbery but does seem to evolve somewhat with age, from devil may care self-interest to a somewhat caring cynicism.

I have only read two HP books but I finished LOTR and asked myself once I finished, "I can't believe I read the whole thing! Why?" LOL

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
Conan would just use the Ring for his advantage, right? If he became a Dark Lord, he'd have no problem with that, would he?
Conan has a deep fear and mistrust of magic and magical things. If Conan got the Ring he would sell it for wine and meat or give it to some doxy for a night's pleasure.

BAYLOR

John Thiel wrote, "His characters don't fit the description of good men at all. His heroes cut men down in their tracks and sell out the bandits they congregate with. The only morality in them is "stay alive".

Can't speak for Dumbledore since I haven't read those books, but Gandalf might appear to be lacking intelligence, Psi, because he takes the moral dimension into account. Conan would just use the Ring for his advantage, right? If he became a Dark Lord, he'd have no problem with that, would he?
Not so. Conan is unwilling to be anyones or anythings slave . If he knew the seductive qualities of the Ring, He'd destroy it.

BAYLOR

My impression is that Conan had more street smarts then either of them.:);)

Vince W

Towel Champion
Supporter
Because of his dread of magic Conan would have killed both of them out of hand and left their bodies where they lay.