Alien mind parasites

1. Ursa major

Ursa major Bearly Believable Staff Member

You might want to have a look at Anne Lyle's Night's Masque trilogy: The Alchemist of Souls, The Merchant of Dreams, The Prince of Lies.

2. Daisy-Boo

Daisy-Boo Purr-fectly crazy

3. Dave

Dave Wherever I Am, I'm There Staff Member

Are you looking for beings that don't just visibly attach themselves externally to the human (other examples not provided already would be Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) & (1978) and Invaders from Mars (1953)) but which are connected to the host invisibly and internally (such as the Wrath of Khan slugs, but probably much more obviously as the Stargate Goa'uld)?

Or, were you looking for a more ethereal connection between host and parasite, a psychic or telepathic connection between them?

Can I ask a supplementary question too? Parasites are usually bad news for the host and only do the host harm, and in science fiction the parasite invariably dominates the human host, however in nature there are also Symbionts. In Symbiosis, both the species gain something from the joining together. In Star Trek, Trill and Human symbionts were meant to be a really good thing, mutually beneficial. Are there any other examples of Symbiosis in science fiction?

Personally, and as I've probably said before, I'm with Woody Allen on anyone messing around with my Brain, "It's my second favourite organ!"

4. dannymcg

dannymcg I am not a robot

I watched the first 25 minutes of a film titled The Host recently. Then I googled to see what happens and changed channels due to bad acting and dull dialogue.
    I learned it was based on a book by her who wrote the Twilight stories.
    The aliens who rule Earth are near mindless silver worms (Souls in the book) that get implanted into human brains.
    Then they get all memories, language etc and suppress the human minds permanently.
    They stop smoking, drinking and such and get the 'Hosts' to diet/exercise. Therefore benevolent to the physical bodies at least.
    They feel sensations, pleasure etc through the Hosts - like Puppet Masters.
    The book synopsis seemed a lot more interesting than the film but a bit too much of a romance story - I don't do chick lit

Dave likes this.
  5. Vladd67

Vladd67 Stake Holder

Dave mentioned the Trill, is just me or was the character more Dax most of the time rather than Jadzia? It seemed that the symbiotic appeared to dominate more often than not.