What does my Sci-Fi short film need to be great???

Marty Procter

Please help me with feedback for a short film i'm making. :D

My film involves some kind of hovering Robot (will be a 3D model created in autodesk Maya)

A human being chased by said robot

A derelict building (Antonio Hall, Riccarton, Christchurch, New Zealand)

What elements will help add to the appeal of my film???

any feedback will be much appreciated ;)

Nice! :)
I know if I was being chased by a robot I would be absolutely terrified so I would try to focus on shots that add to the tension/fear that would arise from that sort of situation. Fear is such a primal thing and a robot could represent the cold contrast to that basic instinct, so I would try to have shots showing the emotionless hovering robot in a way that depicts it as just being there to complete another menial task whereas the shots of the human would be someone frantically trying to keep out of sight and survive. That's just my opinion though! Hope it was somewhat helpful. Best of luck to you with your film!

With short SF - juxtaposition. Good short SF films are generally a kind of riddle that end with an unexpected answer to the puzzle. Like:

The robot is chasing in a menacing manner, but it turns out to be following in a protective manner. But the protection is menacing in its implication. Yada, yada.

OR, the man turns out to be an android, and the robot is a human piloted suit or drone.

Last edited:
And, a perfect opportunity to smash up a derelict building ala Terminator etc. before the surprise ending, which cannot be revealed here until someone thinks of it.

Make it like a meta movie. Bunch of film students making a film there about an alien robot attack. One goes into shot setting up the wires for another angle and casually turns to camera. Jaw falls open and he points behind cameraman. The view swings round and instead of the jokey little we had just seen there is this thing hovering. Twenty foot of impassive menace. In the distance you see a lot more zooming down and screams all around as slaughter begins everywhere.
Panicky "found footage" camera effects as the cameraman runs terrified after his friend towards the building. Gasping for breath and jerking viewpoint as they dash. Evil humming noise getting louder as he nears the door, strange lights getting brighter as the audience realise he's doomed. Final whirling kaleidoscope of lights and gleaming steel with a despairing yelp. Fade out on pixellating screen.

Just some thoughts
(Oh come on people, is it cool or clichè?)

Back