Classic adventure yarns

I think, many years ago, I read an anthology of short stories by PC Wren, all little episodes in the grim lives of the legionnaires. Anybody know what it was?

@BAYLOR ....only 3 years mate?
What kind of premature thread revival is that?
Don't you usually give it at least 12 years? ;) :ROFLMAO:

I think, many years ago, I read an anthology of short stories by PC Wren, all little episodes in the grim lives of the legionnaires. Anybody know what it was?
this might help
Only 99p

@BAYLOR ....only 3 years mate?
What kind of premature thread revival is that?
Don't you usually give it at least 12 years? ;) :ROFLMAO:

Im slipping. :(

I'm awakening Danny's thread -- surely there are some new postings that could be sent on this topic.

I'm not sure about classic, per se, but I did read a number of Biggles books as a child.

I don't think they've ever seen publication in the US. :unsure:

The first time I ever heard of Biggle was due to a Monty Python Skit and latter on the film Biggles Adventure in Time. Which wasn't a bad film.

I read a few Biggles as a kid, I seem to recall a WW1 book where Algie and Ginger were desperately trying to get the last three bottles of 'lemonade' in some battlefield.
This was for a birthday party (for Biggles himself maybe?) in the pilot's mess.
It was years later that I realised they meant champagne!

I read a few Biggles as a kid, I seem to recall a WW1 book where Algie and Ginger were desperately trying to get the last three bottles of 'lemonade' in some battlefield.
Me too.
Biggles and the Cruise of the Condor was a favourite. Breathless stuff for a 10 year old. Involved the discovery of a lost city full of treasure in an extinct volcano crater in the depths of the Matto Grosso. Plus some shifty bad guys with foreign accents (the good guys always speak in public school English in British boys' adventure stories of the early 20th century.)

I think WE Johns also wrote SF. Probably dire.

Last edited:

Were the ever any television adaptations of this book series?

Not that I've ever seen it, but there was a TV series in 1960. The story titles don't seem to match the book titles for the most part.

I looked up the series on Youtube but all I found was Biggels Adventure in Time ans a little remembered adventure film The Camels are Coming 1934 complete.:unsure:

I remember reading a Biggles one in school, takes place in the desert in WW2, great stuff!
Not sure but I think the author also wrote a short SF series?

I read a few Biggles books as a kid but they were all set after the war when Biggles and Pals worked for an air ministry part of Scotland Yard, plus a couple of stories set in Malaysia during the emergency. I never saw any set during WWI which is usually thought of as the Biggles era. Air Commodore Cecil Wigglesworth was said to be the model for Biggles and he served in the Navy during WWI joining the RAF in 1918 and was in Iceland during WWII.

I think the Biggles books range in time and history from WW1 up to the late 1950s when I think he becomes head of a Scotland Yard flying unit.
Mostly they take place in the interwar years, but I vividly remember a scene set just post WW2 where he and his gang hunt down a rogue u-boat, notorious for machine gunning survivors in the water from the ships they just sunk, Biggles has use of a Norwegian whaler, in one scene some one fires a harpoon at one of the German submarines cutting him in half.
This has always stayed with me, don't think it would be allowed in children's books now days!

Last edited:
I think WE Johns also wrote SF. Probably dire

The Lost Ones by Ian Cameron it became the film The Island At the Top of the World . Both quite good.

Back