Player of Games (and Consider Phlebas), specifically; Banks, generally

Oh, I loved Look to Windward. I thought it was a beautiful novel about the personal cost of war.

But (in an attempt to provide spoilers for two works of fiction by using something from a third) it has a plot that resembles Amy Farrah-Fowler's characterisation of that of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

But (in an attempt to provide spoilers for two works of fiction by using something from a third) it has a plot that resembles Amy Farrah-Fowler's characterisation of that of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
Sure. But so does Use of Weapons. All three are arguably character studies of exciting characters.

As I said, I didn't get more than a few chapters into Use of Weapons. And (too) many of the characters in Look to Windward were a good deal less than exciting.

As I said, I didn't get more than a few chapters into Use of Weapons. And (too) many of the characters in Look to Windward were a good deal less than exciting.
Then you missed out on a great book. Possibly Banks' best.

Do you really dislike Raiders?

Where did I say I did?
You didn't. You criticized Windward as deficient for being like Fowler's entirely accurate description of Raiders. If that isn't also a criticism of Raiders, then I guess you'd have to disagree with Amy. Or, plot isn't everything, and you're not being critical of either.

I'd suggest you try again, but I fear you might do so.

(Clue: some people have pointed out that the plot is not the only aspect of a work of fiction that can make one like it. So while one of the two works I mentioned easily disguises its major plot flaw -- to the extent that most people still aren't aware of it (which is why I referred to it in the way I did) -- the other's merits are (in my opinion, obviously) so lacking that when the plot flaw is revealed in all its "glory", it's like discovering that the cherry on the mouldy cake is poisoned.)

I have tried 4 books by Banks. I finished 2.

I finished Player of Games and Look to Windward.

I tried Consider Phlebas and Use of Weapons.

Banks is mentioned so much and so positively by so many people I had to check him out. I went pretty far into CP but it mostly seemed like stupid gratuitous violence to me and the AIs did not impress me as anything I would imagine that such technology would become. I tried PoG because I was a chess addict in high school and figured that would help my interest in the story. It wasn't bad but not good enough. Two bunts and two strikes and I'm out of Banks.

Ive read the first three cultute books in publication order. I fully intend to read everything banks has written. His work is very literary and nuanced, and i get emotionally involved with his works.
CP was a great read, but POG really kicked my appreciation into overdrive.
I think his main strength is that everything he writes becomes significant to the character or story eventually, but you need to trust that the seeds he plants early on will cone to fruition.
Im always left thinking deeply about his books after i read them.

Im always left thinking deeply about his books after i read them.
I don't think I have been affected by a single writer as much as Banks. Read the regular fiction, too. I've read Crow Road at least 3 times.

I don't think I have been affected by a single writer as much as Banks. Read the regular fiction, too. I've read Crow Road at least 3 times.
Im planning on rereading the wasp factory soon. Because its short and efficient, not one word wasted, it might be useful in learning how to pare down the bloated tome that is my current manuscript!