Falling buildings

Discussion in 'General Writing Discussion' started by MemoryTale, Feb 16, 2017 at 8:24 PM.

1. MemoryTale

MemoryTale Good with a stick

So short story shorter, there's a scene in my WIP when my police officer character is trying to direct human traffic away from a building that's in danger of falling down. I see the building as being ten floors high, which according to a calculator I'm using means it should be around 50.7 meters high.

So my question is for any demolition experts here, how big a cordon would he need?

2. RX-79G

RX-79G Well-Known Member

There isn't an exact answer, because buildings don't "fall" the same way. The police would want to insure that no one was hurt by ruble or flying glass, so I would imagine they would evacuate at least 2-3 blocks in every direction.

A story is between 3 and 4 meters, so a ten story building would top out at 40 meters.

3. Stable

Stable Watching you from upside down

It could be taller if you use the counting system that goes Ground Floor, 1, 2, etc., then have a loft or roof space. Either way, it probably won't make a whole block's difference to the question

4. Phyrebrat

Phyrebrat ba-Ba-ba-brat

Research demolition guidelines instead. That should give you a sense of minimum safe distance which you can apply to your police.

pH

5. MemoryTale

MemoryTale Good with a stick

Thanks for the advice guys. Incidentally I find it hilarious that someone named Stable has commented on a thread about falling buildings :D

Stable likes this.
  6. Stable

Stable Watching you from upside down

The nickname was originally given to me ironically, so it may be more appropriate than you thought!

7. Theophania Elliott

Theophania Elliott Well-Known Member

If you're interested in why buildings fall down, I recommend Why Buildings Fall Down: Why Structures Fail by Matthys Levy & Mario Salvadori. It won't tell you where to stand, but it gives you valuable background, and it's also just a really interesting read. If you like civil engineering.

Apparently, the lead author wrote Why Buildings Stand Up (which I have not yet read) and presented a copy to his mother, who said, "Yes, dear, very nice, but I would have been more interested in reading about why they fall down."

So he wrote that.