The Player of Games by Ian M. Banks

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by AE35Unit, Feb 16, 2017 at 9:46 AM.

1. AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

Some books are fun to read, interesting, engaging,with likeable characters. This isnt one of them, which is odd because I enjoyed Consider Phlebas.
    That earlier book was fun, exciting and very accesible. This book however is like reading a book in a foreign language when you only know a few words of said language . Didnt finish.

Open the pod-bay doors...: The Player of (not fun) Games

2. pyan

pyan Great Old One Staff Member

That's really odd, because this is the first Banks novel I read, and the one that got me hooked into the Culture - I remember I went to the library the next day and stripped it of all the Banks novels, including several non-Culture ones.

I was completely blown away by the sheer imaginative span of the thing - massive populations, ditto habitats, etc, and the sentient droids. Most of the ones I'd met before were either comic relief or evil plotters, so the idea of extremely powerful yet (generally) benign droids was totally new to me.

Oh, and I read Consider Phlebas next, as it was written befoe TPoG: and it nearly put me off reading the rest of the Culture books. Practically the opposite of your experience...

Stable and AE35Unit like this.
  3. AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

It just confused me. I didn't know if Gurgeh was on a planet, in space, on a station or what. It was like jumping in a book in the middle, by which time stuff had been explained. Or as if it were a sequel. Very odd. And just plain boring

4. Rodders

Rodders |-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

The Player of Games is generally regarded to be the most accessible of the Culture books, so im sorry that you weren't able to get into it.

I loved the opposed morality of the Culture and the Empire of Azad, but it seemed to me that they were just opposites of the same coin. Gurgeh ultimately ended up the only thing that gave him a purpose. A great ending.

Personally, its my favourite book and i've read is a few times and still love it.

5. reiver33

reiver33 Only Forward

I dislike the culture of the Culture but enjoyed this book, if only because there is almost enough detail of 'the game' to reconstruct it...

6. Vertigo

Vertigo Mad Mountain Man

Horses for courses I guess. I liked PoG more than CP, and, like @pyan this was the book that sold me on th Culture books.

pyan likes this.
  7. AE35Unit

AE35Unit ]==[]===O °

It's listed on bookmooch.com now