Star Trek Novels

BionicGriff

Where is everybody?
Anyone here read any of the Star Trek novels? Perusing the DS9 section of the forums got me reminiscing a bit, and I started reading the Dominion War series, as a sort of lighter, side reading. Aside from any story arcs centered around or including the Borg, the Dominion War is probably my favorite time within the Star Trek universe (original canon at least, I haven't seen any of the new movies yet).

I suppose I'm just curious how the interest in the novels is doing now that there has not been a new series on TV for a number of years.

I've read many Star Trek novels in the past. Mostly TOS ones from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. The earlier ones aren't that great, but several of the ones from the 80's were very good.

I've picked up the odd Star Trek novel now and again, but I haven't had much interest in them in recent years. Especially after seeing the Bra' Trek films.

Anyone here read any of the Star Trek novels? Perusing the DS9 section of the forums got me reminiscing a bit, and I started reading the Dominion War series, as a sort of lighter, side reading. Aside from any story arcs centered around or including the Borg, the Dominion War is probably my favorite time within the Star Trek universe (original canon at least, I haven't seen any of the new movies yet).

I suppose I'm just curious how the interest in the novels is doing now that there has not been a new series on TV for a number of years.

There are some great star trek novels out there. I pick one up whenever I am in the mood for a new star trek adventure and I am not reading anything heavy. I have stuck to TOS and TNG for the most part. I also read the Enterprise novels when the show was on. Perhaps one of my favorite Star Trek Stories is the one JM Dillard did after the events of Nemesis, called Resistence. William Shatner himself also has some pretty great ideas for Star Trek Novels that he has released.

I am not reading anything heavy. .

This is part of the attraction for me, these novels do tend to make good light reading. Something you can pick up, read for 15 minutes, come back later and get right back into the swing of in no time. I do most of my reading on my Nook at home, but I keep these on my phone for quick reading at lunch time, waiting, or whenever.

Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't seen all of the Star Trek movies, but I have seen Nemesis (First Contact is probably one of my all time favorites) so that should make Resistance a good one to check out, I'll have to put that and Dreadnought on my list.

My favorite Star Trek novels are Diane Duane's "Spock's World" and her Rihannsu series. She really brings the Vulcan and Romulan cultures to life in a way not even captured by the TV series. I haven't read many of the newer Star Trek novels.

Some of the most memorable TOS novels for me were Dreadnaught by Diane Carey and almost all the ones written by Diane Duane or Vonda N. McIntyre.

Yes. Star Trek really was a showcase for woman authors -- just look at the Table of Contents for the "New Voyages" books.

I read this Voyager novel:

The Nanotech War Steven Piziks

It was reasonably good, not great.

psik