I am hoping for some Blurb Critique... SciFi Thriller

Status
Not open for further replies.

FibonacciEddie

Supporter
Hi there,

I am hoping for some Blurb Critique.

The target is Amazon Kindle …

I have gone for ~100 words… which is on the short side… but this was my gut feeling

So… exam question…

Which of these do you think is best? And for the best one… (your choice)… what would you do to improve it?

many thanks

Nick

Blurb A
We all feel connected to each other to some degree… sure we do… on a good day.

But one man, Dr Asha Kharjal, has discovered how to manipulate that special part of the human brain that controls actual subconscious messages between all living things.

Asha knows he’s going to save the world by gentle reasoning, but if the audience won’t listen then he may be forced to perform wholesale rewiring...

But power corrupts... and as he slides from humanitarian pacifist to totalitarian dictator his decisions get easier but the consequences more tragic.

Who can stop a man capable of fundamentally controlling our emotions with a single thought?

Blurb B
Polly Wolfson, matriarch of Wolfson Industries, is on a mission to save humanity from dementia.

She’ll do anything to push back the boundaries of medical research, but not all her family and staff feel the same way… some have moral positions they feel compelled to protect.

As her decisions move her further into a mire of grey morals, she is entrapped by the mystical Dr Asha Kharjal who has the solution to all her problems, his cost is high but her clock is ticking as her goal to cure dementia is not one hundred percent altruistic.

Blurb C
A hundred times, Sarah Dixon has almost quit from her job at Wolfson Industries due to the moral ambiguity she is forced to operate in.

Her boss, Polly Wolfson, is driving the mission to save humanity from dementia… and Polly will do anything to get that done.

As Sarah reconciles herself to one more appalling experiment, a new character appears on the scene. The mystical Dr Asha Kharjal is pedalling the solution to all Polly’s problems, but his cost is high… and half of Sarah is convinced that he cannot be trusted.

All of these are too general for me. Give us 1) the main character and what she wants to accomplish, 2) who or what is stopping her, and 3) what's at stake if she doesn't complete her goal. Be as specific as possible. I threw this together based on what you included:

Sarah Dixon hopes to cure dementia, but performing (mind/chemical) experiments on (animals/humans) makes her want to quit Wolfson Indiustries, altogether. That is, until she meets Dr Kharjal. He offers her an alternative using (promising new technique) that could save thousands of lives. But as Sarah employs his solution, she could pay a higher price than she had bargained, perhaps even her own sanity (or whatever stakes you're planning.)

Last edited:
Many thanks for your feedback.
(Apologies I am late replying... I had an interesting 2 days at my day-job... and when I say 'interesting' I mean cr*p)

I will take another look.

Which of them is the main character? Or are they all?

Just to answer the specific question.

The book is written in 3rd Person Close
Sarah is the 'heroine' fighting her internal moral issues --- she has ~35% of the Chapters in terms of POV
Asha is 'villain' (but misguided rather than evil) --- he had ~50% of the Chapters in terms of POV
Polly does not have any Chapters as POV.

thanks
nick

All of these are too general for me. Give us 1) the main character and what she wants to accomplish, 2) who or what is stopping her, and 3) what's at stake if she doesn't complete her goal. Be as specific as possible. I threw this together based on what you included:

Sarah Dixon hopes ... (or whatever stakes you're planning.)

Thanks SciFrac, I appreciate you taking the time to do this. Nick

Sarah is the 'heroine' fighting her internal moral issues --- she has ~35% of the Chapters in terms of POV
Asha is 'villain' (but misguided rather than evil) --- he had ~50% of the Chapters in terms of POV

Hmm, sounds like a potential issue. Since your protag is featured less than the villain, you might consider selling the ani-hero angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.