La La Land (2016)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Multi-award winning song and dance film about a struggling actor and a musician in Hollywood and the joy and pain of pursuing their dreams in a place where dreams are often shattered.

A strange film to place this. It is also described as a musical romantic comedy-drama. There are jokes and humour, but I wouldn't say it was a comedy. It is also described as a feel-good film, but I thought it was deep and thought-provoking. Also described as retro glamour and style, although it is very modern and the costumes are casual wear. The camera work is good though and some of the dancing scenes are very complex and on a big canvas.

The question asked is whether one should take a chance at a once in a lifetime one true love, or whether one should pursue one's dreams. That question remains unanswered at the end. Everyone makes sacrifices in their careers lives. You don't need to be an actor or a musician to experience that. Both men and women give up careers to care for children or elderly parents or sick relations. Both men and women sacrifice their own dreams and careers to support those of their partners. So, it's an interesting question.

It is unusual to see a musical that hasn't already been a West End/Broadway show first, but I have to say that I didn't find the score very catchy at all. Certainly worth going to see this, but be aware that it cannot possibly ever live up to the hype it has had.

Well I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was sensational... Watch out for a load of musicals following on its heels. Though to be fair, this wasn't an out-and-out musical, rather a story with occasional interludes.

Last week I heard film historian and pundit Marc Lapadula describe it as a good movie, but not a great movie. I agree.