Killer xmas robot short story

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
Thinking about creepy tales and this short story popped up. Read it early seventies but I think it was written in sixties. Three or four couples meet up in a high apartment for annual christmas eve party. They sit chatting while having cocktails and can of peas. It slowly transpires that each couple has been living relatively isolated for the last few weeks and, as they chat, they realise they've lost contact with other friends during that time. A fair bit of time is then spent with them phoning around trying to speak to anyone but no luck. Back story emerges during all this that machines are beginning to dominate society and one bright spark realises that a hidden robot apocalypse is happening. They decide to grab supplies and head for the hills and exit the apartment. Final line is "but the new Father Christmas caught them all on the stairs" .

Anyone know it please?

Thanks Victoria. I was searching for christmas robots and google was like groundhog day with returning me over and over to doctor who. Ta again, Danny

Its surprising how memory plays tricks on you. The info states that the father christmas android is coming to a factory caretaker and his wife and some hobos. I must have got the elegant 'cosy catastrophe' cocktail party from some other yarn! Still it was over forty five years ago and that last line really hooked me.

Last edited:
Hi,

"Your mistletoe is no match for my TOW missile!" Robot Santa.

"You DARE bribe Santa?! I'm gonna shove coal so far up your stocking, you'll be coughing up diamonds!"

Love this guy!

Cheers, Greg.