Your Name (2016)

AlexH

Fantasy/sci-fi. As a comet passes by earth, a young guy and young woman become linked in some way. As far as animated films go, I can only think of Song of the Sea that would beat it from the last couple of years.

It's still showing at some cinemas in the UK (I don't know about elsewhere) - I recommend seeing it if you get the chance. It looks beautiful on the big screen.

I prefer to watch films without seeing the trailer or reading a synopsis before, and this is one of those that's definitely worth seeing without knowing too much about it. I've since watched a trailer, and the one I saw doesn't really do the film justice.

No one will ever compare to Hayao Miyazaki, but I think Makoto Shinkai is starting to ease the blow that Miyazaki might only make one more film!

Kimi no na wa. (2016) - IMDb

Last edited:
I watched the trailer and was expecting a cute if screwy anime romance about teens swapping bodies - a story we've seen many times before.

The first act looked like it was building up to this, though from a more unique angle than normal.

And then the second act threw a massive screwball that changed everything.

The artwork and attention to detail was often stunning. But it's the original and gripping story that drives this film and makes it such an award winner.

The only negative was a couple of cheesy background songs during the film. But otherwise I can't praise it enough.

Definitely recommended if you want to see something different.

Enjoyed this over Christmas (see the anime threads). Free to stream with Amazon Prime.

I saw this at the cinema and loved it. I thought I'd already posted about it, but can't see said post!

Edit; oh there it is in the Similar Threads below: Your Name (2016)

It's posted in the Anime section, which is why I couldn't see it.

Oops - hadn't realised we had this thread, so I've moved mine into this one. :)

I watched Spirited Away but wasn't really taken with it - haven't been motivated to try any more by him.
Interesting - you're definitely in the minority from people I know of. I think it's one of the best films of all-time. Not many films come close to perfection, but Spirited Away is one.

I recommend trying at least one other Miyazaki film. Arriety, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Princess Mononoke are my other favourites. Or you could try something a bit different like The Castle of Cagliostro or Porco Rosso. Not that I expect anyone to watch it, but this video illustrates a couple of reasons why I love his films (though not all of them) so much:

Back