6,000th post: Blood and Shadows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on 6,000! Nitpicks only... I tripped up on the opening lines, I'm afraid:

"Better fetch your mop, brak-brak," Huginn caws, bobbing at the top of the banister. Muninn, always silent, lands on my shoulder, his claws digging through my dress into the flesh beneath. When I wince, he leans his glossy head against my cheek.

"What do I need the mop for?" I smooth the cover on Maman's bed and step back to check it's perfect; she has strong -- some might say obsessive -- feelings about wrinkles in the quilt.

The homophones of Huginn and Muninn, (which I hear as Hugh ginn [hard 'g'] and Mooninn) combined with four names introduced meant I had to go over it twice to see who was whom. Muninn and Maman are a bit close, I found. Read it aloud, I still trip up. And for reasons completely unknown to me, I tripped up on the use of Maman. I know French was the language of the courts way back when (adopted by Scottish Jacobeans first IIRC) but it jarred. I thought it might be another raven because it was capitalised, and couldn't think why a raven would be irritated by a rumpled quilt...

Looking again, and knowing it's an opening, I see there is a fair bit of telling... which does distract me a little from the immediacy of the scene. It's very matter-of-fact from our narrator, a run-of-the-mill event, that seems to happen fairly often. She's used to it, not surprised by anything, consequently the reader isn't either. Would it be better with some tension? Leaving out the telling would help IMHO.

As is usual, I've deliberately not read others' thoughts, so there may be repetition. *sharpens claws*.

Muninn, always silent - in a present tense writing style the 'always' jarred a little. 'Ever-silent'?

When I wince, he leans his glossy head against my cheek. - style: I wince, and he leans...

His round eyes are knowing. - unsure about 'knowing'. Opportunity to show what illumination there is if you have it glinting in his eyes.

Ravens are meant to be birds of prophecy, after all. - maybe rephrase a little. He's not prophesying, but telling you what's happened, like the annoying bit at the start of a weather forecast when the jester tells you what the weather was like earlier. I know, weatherman, I was there! Ahem.

... doing his cryptic look. - could specify. Hopping, head bobbing/cocked, preening a wing, defecating on your sock drawer etc.

Ravens love to wind people up, but it's late, and I'd like to sleep sometime tonight. "You mean the sitting room?" - dialogue feels a bit soft, rather than irate or tired. "Get on with it" or suchlike may fit better.

"Time to go to bed now; it's half-past eight." He cackles and bobs at the rhyme - had to go back and check (it does rhyme, but with 'grate' which is several lines back).

I resist the urge to snarl. - repetition, was resisting the urge to swear a moment ago. Change or axe, here or there.

It's sticky and smells of salt and terror. - no metallic tang? Also, could comment on coagulation (waited so long to tell me it's almost dried up etc).

Idea's fine, but a bit more tension and closeness of atmosphere would improve things. Personally not a fan of present tense stuff, but that's a style choice.

Reactions: Hex
Huh. I never even realised it was present tense. Admittedly, I'm pretty godawful at noticing tense without looking for it, but nigh universally I sooner or later notice something is off and awkward about a book and look and its present tense. That might genuinely be the most enjoyable piece of present tense I've ever read (although it helps that its one of the shortest too at the moment :p)

Yeah, Thad beat me to the punch. It may be the use of first tense, or something else, but I had a bit of trouble following it. Probably just me. For a first draft it's pretty good. (As usual).

Yeah, Thad beat me to the punch. It may be the use of first tense, or something else, but I had a bit of trouble following it. Probably just me. For a first draft it's pretty good. (As usual).
and HE was beaten to the punch by another.... (who shall remain nameless) Stuart.

Thank you, lovely people. I am not wedded to the ravens' names -- it was a bit of a lazy snatch from mythology, so maybe I'll change them...

Hah! You can take my land but you will never take my... writing in the present tense (except for my current wip, in which I'm not. But still).

Thank you, lovely people. I am not wedded to the ravens' names -- it was a bit of a lazy snatch from mythology, so maybe I'll change them...

Hah! You can take my land but you will never take my... writing in the present tense (except for my current wip, in which I'm not. But still).
Re tense, lol
still, if you can do it, do it! It's certainly better than most attempts I've seen ( including my own)

Thank you! I've written this way for ages, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I must confess to a passion for first person present. I often get part way through a book and wonder why I'm loving it so much and realise it's in fpp, so I think it is a very personal preference (and the amount of YA you read probably influences it).

Didn't you like THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO?

Thank you! I've written this way for ages, and I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but I must confess to a passion for first person present. I often get part way through a book and wonder why I'm loving it so much and realise it's in fpp, so I think it is a very personal preference (and the amount of YA you read probably influences it).

Didn't you like THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO?

I hated it. Quite a lot as I recall but more because of the cheap cliffhangers than the tense, to be fair :)

The opening of this doesn't grab me, I'm afraid. I've been musing why and I think that it's that I'' not quite sure where my focus should be - the characters, the ravens, the setting? Which makes me flit around

The opening suggests to me that this will be a story of Cinderella crossed with Woden living with Macbeth's witches like Harry Potter. Awesome. If she doesn't end up plucking one of her eyes out and hanging from a tree though I'll feel let down.

I didn't really enjoy the first two paragraphs, but it picked up nicely in the third. Are they necessary?

Also congrats on having about 100x as many posts as me! ;) (Don't worry, I'll catch up)

The opening suggests to me that this will be a story of Cinderella crossed with Woden living with Macbeth's witches like Harry Potter. Awesome. If she doesn't end up plucking one of her eyes out and hanging from a tree though I'll feel let down.

I didn't really enjoy the first two paragraphs, but it picked up nicely in the third. Are they necessary?

Er. How let down?

Losing the first two paras is definitely within the realms of possibility. Thank you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.