Query letter - what to include?

Tanja Bisgaard

So finally my manuscript is ready to be seen by a publisher. In Denmark where I live, there are no agents - authors send their manuscripts directly to a publisher. But I am guessing the way of approaching them is similar to other places in the world.

Do you have some advice on what I should include etc to make a good query letter? :D

So finally my manuscript is ready to be seen by a publisher. In Denmark where I live, there are no agents - authors send their manuscripts directly to a publisher. But I am guessing the way of approaching them is similar to other places in the world.

Do you have some advice on what I should include etc to make a good query letter? :D

1. If you really want to learn to write a query letter, Query Letter Hell on Absolute Write is the place to go. It's brutal. But it works.
2. UK and US queries are very slightly different. UK are a little longer, US very short and to the point. I mostly used my US blurb with a little softening around the edges.
3. Put the name-genre-wordcount on the top line. this is because now more people use smart phones, it is easier for the agent to see that information. (Or so I've been told. But it's not a deal breaker)

So.

Dear Lovely Agent

Name - book title - genre - wordcount.

WHO is the story about, WHAT do they hope to achieve, WHAT stands in their way, WHAT the stakes are if they fail. (Get it into the writing group here and get it critted - I'm hoping to do just that later today.)

Very, very short about-me section.

With best wishes/whatever floats your boat

Your name and main social media/web platforms.

In general most of the publishers you would want to send to do not take unagented submissions so you need to query agents. You'll find good listings of US agents at Querytracker.net and Agentquery.com. As Jo Z says, you will need a query letter for the US agents, I usually direct people to Queryshark and suggest they spent a long time reading all the archives to understand how a US query letter should be constructed. UK agents are less fussy about the format of the covering letter. A pretty decent list of UK SF/F agents is here: Agents

Thanks! I will start with Denmark since I have written my story in Danish - then I will translate and try the UK and/or US market.

Any views on the rest of the English speaking world? Like Canada, Australia, New Zealand...?

Thanks! I will start with Denmark since I have written my story in Danish - then I will translate and try the UK and/or US market.

Any views on the rest of the English speaking world? Like Canada, Australia, New Zealand...?
Get the agent first and let them lead on foreign rights - or, if they don't rep them, seek a foreign rights agent.

Australia has a handful of agents who concentrate on Australian authors, NZ has no agents I'm aware of. The Canadian market looks very much to the US market, there are a few Canadian agents but not enough to be worth considering separately

Australia has very few agents and they are likely to say 'our books are full,' so a queue of writers are waiting for other writers to die!

The major publishers have branches here. Most take direct queries and some have an open day every month. There are lots of small publishers, but it's hard to get a read, never mind a contract. They are easy to find via Google search.

I tried for years and got nowhere here in Australia and eventually found a small publisher in the UK who bought and published my book, which, incidentally, helped me get an Australian agent.

In general everywhere, if you want a major publishing contract an agent is required. You can contact many major publishers direct, but an agent will get your manuscript to the decision makers and bypass the slush pile.

Agents aren't interested in smaller publishers because there's not much money for them, so you can approach most of them direct. And once published, even by a very small publisher, your chances of getting an agent are very much higher.

Thank you so much everyone! I'm amazed at how hard it is to get out there...! Fingers crossed to see how it goes in Denmark first...:ninja:

A thought - if you do translate into English from Danish, get a native English speaker to read the manuscipt before you send it out.

OK thanks. I am kind of bilingual - but of course - living in Denmark where I never hear English, puts me at a disadvantage... Will see if I can get someone to give it a look through - without paying a fortune for it! :eek:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sinister42 Critiques 43
kaufmannp Critiques 14
therapist Critiques 13
Dan Jones Critiques 12
Brian G Turner Writing Resources 13