Legion (FX)

Saw the trailer last week and was going to post about it, but ReBerg beat me to it.:) I thought it looks good though, something a little different, so hopefully it will be a good watch.

Well, I watched the episode and I'm still not sure how it will lead back to the Marvel Universe as X-men Universe has been separated to its own faction from the movie universe. The New Mutants he met at the end should be under a guidance of Charles Xavier. I don't know for sure if he is going to be present, because Legion is his son. I wouldn't call him a *******, because even though Charles didn't plan him, he happened and each one of his side-persons posses a power. In a way he posses all powers.

Even Franklin Richard power (Fantastic 4 son, who is THE most powerful mutant in the whole Marvel universe) even though he hasn't met this person. Yet.

But Legion is different sort of beast.

He has gone mad due to his father's influence, and all those people in his head could be consiousnesses that Charles met or touched at some point in time, before Legion was born. In a way, more you think about how Legion can be possible, stranger the reality becomes and I for one, find that if I let myself lose in Legion world, I'll be lost there forever.

The pilot episode isn't an easy thing to watch because it deals with Legion's madness, his multiple personality disorder that in some cases go beyond the borderline of psychosis. Things that you'll see in his world aren't always real and they might be too hard for a normal viewer to decipher. Therefore, Marvel didn't do themselves a favour, when they decided to join the universes and put the X-men and the New Mutants in centre of that madness.

To people who got lost, while viewing the Lost, this is going be another mind-f6ck.

I'm not sure if Legion will be on my regular diet, because I need a bit more clarity to understand all switches. Still, don't believe that Legion is a bad series, because it is a different experience. If can follow series like the Lost and 12 Monkeys, you might actually like this.

Thanks for the background, @ctg , I confess I didn't know any of that. I quite enjoyed the first episode, but I agree it wasn't an easy watch. It was something different to the usual though, and while it was a little slow starting I think it does look promising. I'll probably watch the next one and see how it goes, I think.

If you go deeper into Legion's world, forget what you knew about Marvel Universe, because even though Legion shares the X-men universe, there aren't mutants with shared history.

It is easier if you forget everything you knew and let the story flow. Even then it's going to be a difficult to journey because of the multiple personality complex. You won't ever know for sure who is real and who is part of the fiction, David's brain has created.

But...

... if you spot a mutant, and think you know, then think only those who you know from the Xmen and Spiderman universe.
One of them is Rogue.

:censored:

I'm loving it. Was so excited when i heard it was planned and made sure not to remied myself of the comic Legion as he's so damn complicated.

The show is really beautiful and I think they are doing a good job. Only 8 episodes though :(

Feels like a crossover between Scanners and Hellraiser at the moment, and that's not a bad thing. My worry is that this isn't going to stat that way and that it's all in his head, once they figure it out it starts going mainstream superhero which I'm kind of bored of. Please let it stay something different.

My wife and I are really digging this. It's a challenging show, but really rewarding because of it...you can't just sit, passively letting your mind wander with this one. Anything, seemingly, can happen at any time in this often frenetic series. It's very exciting! :)

Also, I had no idea that Dan Stevens had such range. We were big Downton Abbey fans back in the day, and I really didn't think he was anything special then. But his emotional/acting range seems really impressive in Legion. I think as a whole, the series was beautifully cast. I have a feeling this will never become a pedestrian, by-the-book type of superhuman show, and I hope this will be renewed many times in the years to come. Very hopeful for this series, CC

Well, I've seen the first 3 episodes now, and I'm really enjoying it. After the first episode, which was a bit slow to get going, it's been non-stop.
It's a challenging show, but really rewarding because of it...
Yes, difficult subject matter but that helps set it apart from other superhero/superhuman shows. I think that's part of what makes it so watchable.
Only 8 episodes though
Nooooo!:eek::mad:

You won't see Patrick Steward as Charles Xavier in this production as he is retiring from the film business.

It looks like Hugh Jackman isn’t the only one hanging up his mutant hat after Logan. Patrick Stewart has announced that he’s officially retiring from the X-Men franchise, saying, “I’m done.”

Stewart had previously left his future as Professor Charles Xavier up in the air, throwing out tongue-in-cheek hints that he could reprise the role for Deadpool 2 or other future X-Men films. However, during a recent SiriusXM Town Hall with Jackman and Logan director and co-writer James Mangold, Stewart announced that Logan would be his X-Men swan song. I’m sharing his statement in its entirety, because it’s super moving:

“A week ago, Friday night in Berlin, the three of us sat, watching the movie... And I was so moved by it, much more moved than I had been the first time of seeing it. Maybe it was the company of these two guys, but the movie ended and — this is an admission — but at one point [Jackman] reached out, and he took my hand in those last few minutes, and I saw him go [mimes wiping a tear from his eye] like this, and then I realized I had just done the same thing. Then, the movie ended… and we were going to be taken up on stage, but not until the credits were over. So, we had some time to sit there and, as I sat there I realized there will never be a better, a more perfect, a more sensitive, emotional, and beautiful way of saying au revoir to Charles Xavier than this movie. So, I told [Jackman] that same evening, ‘I’m done too. It’s all over.’”
http://io9.gizmodo.com/patrick-stewart-is-retiring-from-x-men-1792744236

David(less) episode of Legion is still a bit challenging to watch.
I thought the man in white was Sebastian Shaw from the Hellfire Club (Xmen antagonist).

shaw.jpg

Sebastian Shaw (Earth-616)

His involvement in the Legion's madness (Yellow Eyed Demon) would make a great deal of sense. And the thing is most of the people outside the Xmen comics or New Mutants know next to nothing about the Hellfire Club.

The Xmen 2 movie and their consequential reappearance in the First Class doesn't really explain what they are and what they've done in the past. I hate mix in Morlocks (Xmen universe Inhumans) because if Mr Shaw is in the play, they cannot be far behind and with them all sorts of other character might suddenly appear in the small screen.

The white man with a permie afro is still a huge question mark, because my brain associate him to Question (another superhero from another publisher). But some distant memory might have seen him also with Canadian Avengers and Wolverine. It's just if he's meant to be the Sabertooth (very often associated with Mr Shaw and Hellfire Club), they've totally cocked it up.

Thing about Morlock's is that if they're involved in this production, the pool of mutants is going to be very, very large. Maybe even larger than what the main audience associate with the Marvel Universe.

Last edited:
I've been banking the episodes on my DVR, thinking that I would give the series a try but probably end up deleting it.
I watched the pilot last night and was pleasantly surprised to find that it is not at all what I expected, at least not at the start. I think my scant knowledge of the Marvel Universe will be an advantage as I watch more episodes.

I'm three episodes in,and it is something different ,alright.
Thematically and visually different,purposefully playing with time and reality like it's nobody's business.
I like it, A LOT

I think was first episode where Legion's madness didn't come to play in such huge way as it is present in the earlier episodes. In fact, there was so little of that present that the episode almost felt sane and understandable. And what really comes in the light is David's increasing power.

It is almost as if there is nothing on Earth or in the universe that can stop him now that Legion has found part of his powers. Not even the yellow eyed demon in his head. The one thing which drives him insane is powerless without him.

The problem I found is that Legion lacks narrative that explains what is going around and the hints you see in the movies or Agents of Shield doesn't exist. The narrative doesn't even reveal what happened to other mutants.

The only reference is the war. In this time it doesn't reference to Civil War but War on Mutants and in that war Legion is the biggest hammer mutants can use against the oppressive powers. His insanity is something almost nobody can counter (Nobody except Franklin Richards) and the gods would be in trouble with him.

Still he is just a man. A man who wields god like powers.

If the powers that be would know how to control him, they control the destiny of humankind. Nobody could oppose them. And that is what the Section 3 seems want - to be the rulers of the mankind.

To believe in insanity is madness itself. You cannot control a schizophrenic person. Not even if you're a demon. Instead the demon would be just using the person to commit diabolical things.

Things like you see in the episode, people embedded in objects or being almost completely disintegrated. Scenes that look so haunting, so scary, because they show no opposition. Nothing that people can do to stop Legion.

In the hell the Legion is the devil's footsoldiers. To them torment is daily business before the end of the days. But David isn't one of them.

He is just a man. Like you and I.

The only exception is that he is also a man with many powers. As many powers as he has personalities. And that is mad.

Loved this episode. They are getting so much of it just right - and everyone is just starting to realise, including David.

I am thoroughly enjoying this series. Best superhero debut since Daredevil on Netflix in my opinion.

I love the visuals, the mystery, the weirdness, the fragile romance and the fact that you can't trust David or his perceptions.