Current Echoes

Biskit

Cat whisperer
Supporter
Sitting in the sun (between the rain storms)
Maybe it's just me, but every time a new Trump headline comes up, I find myself thinking they must be doing a remake of B5, concentrating on the rise of President Clarke and the Nightwatch.

Today's highlight for me was Kellyanne "Alternative Facts" Conway. Is anyone else getting B5 deja vu, but in a bad way?

Yeah, I'm re-watching Babylon 5 at the moment, and I keep thinking on this - the writing was very clever in so many ways, but how it chronicled the rise and tools of a dictator was convincing, and prescient...

It's an indication of what a rough year or so that we haven't re-watched in over a year, and now when we next do re-watch I have a feeling I will be seeing ever more parallels with our current world politics. Perhaps we will be lucky and things will not go to hell, but so much in B5 comes across as a representation of people not seeing/not wanting to see the rise of Hitler and the Nazis as a threat; so much of the news at present makes me wonder if future generations are going to look back on us and wonder how we couldn't see what was coming again.

Back