The Darkness That Comes Before - what a difference a decade makes [no spoilers]

thaddeus6th

Supporter
I first got The Darkness That Comes Before about a decade ago. With the possible exception of Dracula, I found it the most detestable reading experience I could remember. The opaque nature of the background and story, the endless lore (more skirt than thigh, and more frustration than tantalising) really annoyed me.

I may've referred to (but not named) a book I really didn't get along with. And this was it.

It's a little while ago that I ventured forth from the cave on my isolated island in the North Sea and met some other persons from here, but during the course of that discussion SilentRoamer and I had a chat during the course of which (after I forgot the author name, initially) Bakker and The Book Of Doom came up.

I did look for it, in order to give it a second read, but didn't find it until some months down the line (it was buried in a box rarely opened, and I'm surprised I hadn't given it away). Anyway, I honoured my word and decided to subject myself to the torment again. I'm currently about halfway through.

Now, it's not my favourite book. But I am quite enjoying it. There's still a bit too much skirt, but I'm liking the story and characters, and the only reason my progress is slow is because I don't read a lot now.

And that got me thinking. I haven't changed drastically in the last decade (well, I don't think so), but clearly my perspective as a reader has shifted. We can argue the toss about whether I was more discerning in the past or more tolerant today, or whether my judgement/taste has improved or declined over time, but I can't recall such a substantial shift in opinion of the same book when re-reading.

It's a little perplexing. But also interesting. Before I fling any more books towards the charity shop, I may well give them another look (although I'll be astounded if I like the Story of the Stone. But then, I'd've said the same of The Book Of Doom).

Oddly This is one of the few books I've started and not finished, 5-6 years ago or so. Though I don't remember any specific reasons for not particularly enjoying it (though I distinctly remeber being visciously attacked by a spider pretty much the night I stopped:cry:). I think I felt it was quite slow, and didn't engage/interest me as well as others I'd been reading at the time.
I wonder if I'd still abe the same issues now.

It's one I've always meant to go back to, having heard a lot of praise for the series, but it's not found is way to the top of my pile yet.

HareBrain, my secret identity as Les Dawson is revealed!

I was out with the wife the other day and saw the mother-in-law. She was being attacked by six men. The wife asked if I was going to help. I shook my head, and said six ought to be enough.

LittleStar, it is quite slow-paced. If/when you do give it a second look it'll be interesting to see what you think.

Hey Bugg,

Did you continue with the series at all? The Warrior Prophet is my favorite of the first trilogy but I think The Great Ordeal which has only recently been released is the best of Bakkers work. He seems to really nail the pacing and plotting with the right amount of waxing lyrical and the right amount of action.

Definitely worth a try and as there is now a publication date for the Unholy Consult the series should be finished this year. :)

Not yet, no, but I'm fully intending to :)

I've had the first series on my bookshelf for a few years now. I read The Darkness That Comes Before either last year or the year before, time seems to go so quickly these days. I did enjoy it, I actually thought it was one of the better novels I'd read in the last few years and I'm going to get around to finishing the series. I might even pick it up next now that this thread has me thinking about it. I've been reading a few horror novels of late so might track back to fantasy