• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Banner experiment

Paul_C

There are two sizes for the banner and the larger one fills my entire screen (actually -- I don't know where I saw the smaller one, but now the banner consistently fills my screen), so when I click on any of the thumbnail image books, the banner simply expands to fill my screen (although actually it opens a new window with the banner expanded to fill my whole screen). It took me a few goes before I scrolled down and realised it had also taken me to the thread about the 20 Exciting New Authors.

I do like the thumbnail banner (and yours) and I think it's a great idea to advertise Chrons writers, but I find the current implementation a barrier to enjoying the site (which is probably no bad thing since I spend too much time here anyway!) and may put (new) people off.

If it were narrower, I think you'd be able to advertise without blocking content, which is what it currently does. If there are too many books in the thumbnail, you could always have two thumbnail banners with half of the books on each.

This is everything I can see on my laptop:

View attachment 34607
That inbox is very full . . .

Vaz

We're in the pipe, five by five.
I do like the banner, it looks good and is a great idea to advertise other Chrons author's.

That said the site has been painfully slow when browsing on my phone. Both on Chrome or Firefox. Maybe just teething issues?

v

Gary Compton

I miss you, wor kid.
Even though there are 6 TBP titles inc one of my own, I think it would be better say 150-175 pixels high and only 5-6 books per view. Then to refresh everytime someone visits. I saw it 6-7 times today and it is/was annoying. Include your book in the 20, if you need to delete someone, delete mine and put me in next time so only one image not the slideshow.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I do need to tweak image dimensions and the text - this is something I'll work on, but need some advice from the developer of the plugin.

I know some people might not like change of any kind, but this is all about helping other people we know here. The banner simply replaces the Google ads and my own ad that were running.

I know how hard it is for indie and small press authors to get any visibility, so I want to do what I can to help any chrons author getting a little more attention if possible - this is about helping people.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
I love that you are advertising people's books, but if the advertising is too intrusive, it's likely to have the wrong effect and annoy people, putting them off the books and the site.

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
A vote for not minding the banners. I haven't read all of the comments, but would say the tweaking you've done so far, Brian, has helped from the initial launch settings.

I had two suggestions (and forgive me if these options have been mentioned).

-First, is it possible to arrange it so that holding the cursor over the banner stops the flow, or the rotation, of the three banners? I think this might be of particular help with the one containing the twenty, or so, Chronners' books...there just isn't enough time to read the titles/authors' names (I believe there is a link through each banner to a relevant thread giving details, but I'm not sure every guest/potential member would feel comfortable opening links on a site that is newish to them).

-Or, could this be limited to one banner per page view? So, the site is opened to your own banner, say; then when a person clicks on, say, book search, the next banner pops up with the new screen. Then when they open a thread within book search, the third banner pops up, and stays for the duration of the thread's being opened. I realize with this method, it's not guaranteed a guest will open enough threads to see all three banners.

Just some thoughts. But for me at least, this is definitely preferable to the ads. Two things with the ads: I use Chrome, and on every page view at the site when the ads were here, I'd get a pop-up advising me that the site was trying to download something or other to my computer.

Also, I suspect the first time my wife glanced over and saw that I had an ad on the screen for dating young Russian women, she must have been a bit curious about the reasons for its being there. She understands why Patrick Rothfuss might appear on my computer screen. :) (Did everyone else get dating ads? I would have to think so.) Just some thoughts, but the efforts you're making are appreciated! CC

Montero

You have said you need to add more Chrons authors to the banner. Was just wondering about having ten book covers at a time rather than twenty. So two times ten plus one not fully populated - three or four to go there? (If that wouldn't look too bad).

And another "thank you for doing this Brian".

tinkerdan

∞<Q-Satis
I use chrome and the latest version works quite well in size and fade in and out.
And testing it on the phone emulators proved to have similar result
It works just as well with MS Internet Explorer and even EDGE.
I would say it's all good to go.

Kylara

Ghosting
Was ok on my phone (android ff) but way too many books in one banner. Needs to be a bit slower with the changeover too. I'd suggest fewer books per banner so you can see the titles, authors etc and then a gentle fade to the next set. Mucn more inviting and less intimidating as well.
A shorter height banner would also be appreciated as it did somewhat limit my view on the top of the page (alerts as well as threads was impossible).

I didn't look on my computer so no help there I'm afraid.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
Sorry to keep being the awkward one (though this is my job...). The banners are visually fine on my phone -- they take up a nice amount of space. However, I think they must be different sizes because when they change, the text moves up or down, which obviously makes it very frustrating to read.

Is that what's happening when I log in? It used to be I could press tab and get taken to the password box to input my whole password but now I only have enough time to input half my password before the focus jumps back to the username field.

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
but now I only have enough time to input half my password before the focus jumps back to the username field.
This was happening to me a day or so before the banner headline stuff began. (I assumed that it was IE11 playing up -- it sometimes does odd things (though not this) in combination with my anti-virus software** on other sites -- so didn't report it here.)

It happened again when I was logging in this morning.

** - It usually changes the focus to another window entirely. I don't even have to be using IE at all (though I usually am :oops: ). It's a known issue with the anti-virus application.

Reactions: Hex

Hex

Write, monkey, write
It started doing it recently but I couldn't remember if it was before or after. Thanks!

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I had problems on several sites last week with the cursor jumping around and not obeying the mouse. At the time, I thought it was the mouse battery. It wasn't dirt because it's an optical mouse. It stopped suddenly, probably because of a bug fix to the browser. Maybe this is all you are experiencing too.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
That'll be the sign in thing. The moving text is certainly the banner though. The Chrons author one is smaller so things move up when it appears, and down again for the others.

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
When I log in, I click on the username field (my only use of the mouse in the process), fill that in, use the tab key to get to the password field, type a few characters (only the two just a few minutes ago) and find the rest are added to my username.

This morning, I managed to complete the password without a hitch, but when I used the tab key (to take me to the "keep me logged in" field), I was taken back to the username field.

Gonk the Insane

A.J. Grimmelhaus
Tis a small thing, but it looks like the next/previous buttons are labelled the wrong way (at least from a Western reading point of view). The Prev button moves to the slide to the right (going by the grey dot beneath the banners).

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Tis a small thing, but it looks like the next/previous buttons are labelled the wrong way (at least from a Western reading point of view). The Prev button moves to the slide to the right (going by the grey dot beneath the banners).
Lol! I hadn't even noticed!

I still need to do some tweaks, not least reducing the box size, and killing white space under the banner. I'll now add swapping those 2 buttons around. :)

First I've got to spend tomorrow doing a full backup of the forums, then run a software update.