Banner experiment

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
I'm experimenting with a new banner system, which will move between an ad for the new chrons author thread, and one for my book (I'm sure I had an idea for a third link, but can't remember what it might have been!).

I'm currently on a large monitor and the banner looks a little too large - but the only way to make it smaller is to make it narrow.

Also, just a reminder that I know some people are missing from the current chrons author promotion - all I can do is apologise for that, as I put it all together in a mad rush late on Christmas Eve, and later, Christmas day afternoon - anyone missed out (Stephen Palmer and Susan Boulton come immediately to mind) will definitely be on the next one!

Also - I'll set the banner to display to all members, just to get feedback. Once I'm happy with the format, I'll make it visible only to guests - that way it won't start grating on everyone's nerves. :)

EDIT: I also have different ways of transitioning the banners. I can also adjust the time accordingly.

Last edited:

Nick B

author Nick Bailey, formerly Quellist.
The banner is fine on my phone, the grey bit with the text looks a bit odd and covers the next and prev arrows.
It isnt really intrusive, so I'm fine with it.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
It's pretty big and intrusive on my laptop in MS edge, and the dark grey bar overlies the pre>> next<< buttons.

I agree with Paul_C that it would be good if it changed less often -- it's pretty visually distracting just now.

Abernovo

Supporter
I don't mind seeing the covers. In fact, some of them which I hadn't seen before piqued my curiosity to learn more. But that wobbling motion does my eyes in and is annoying so, if your ears are burning, that's probably due to my use of certain words in the broad tongue. :p

As others have said, it is a big on the large side, and changes too often. And, does it have to be on every page? That does make it intrusive, too much of a hard sell technique.

So, a good start, but could be improved.

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
Only advice I'd have is the gray bar does hide the PREV/NEXT buttons a bit. I can see them, but didn't even notice them, at first.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I agree with Hex and Paul C. Slow down the change so the book covers can be read and move the grey bar. I also think it might be too much to be on every page, but if it will only be to guests, then that is an incentive for them to become members: "Register now and lose this banner."

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
I don't mind the ads at all...but the constant shuffling is pretty annoying i.e. when a big card drops over the first part of a thread every few seconds. Also I'd agree with others in that the changeover is too fast. The Chronicles of Empire ad can be absorbed in the time...but when you're confronted with twenty covers you barely have time to fixate on anything, never mind read any details.

RX-79G

Annoying, but a good thing for the forum.

May I suggest the transitions go horizontal, rather than in the same direction as scrolling down the page?

Overread

Direwolf of the chrons
The only problem I can see is that your own banner ad won't, in my view, work. Because you've used the same colouration and symbol that is on the forum for your book; as a casual observer I think you're talking more about the forum than the book - so the title gets missed. A book cover would work far better on that page- it tells me that its a book without any issue and separates it from the forum neatly

Cathbad

Level 30 Geek Master
The only problem I can see is that your own banner ad won't, in my view, work. Because you've used the same colouration and symbol that is on the forum for your book; as a casual observer I think you're talking more about the forum than the book - so the title gets missed. A book cover would work far better on that page- it tells me that its a book without any issue and separates it from the forum neatly
That's a good point. A book cover would be better.

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Supporter
Err...yes, I hadn't realized the one was for your book. Definitely needs a book cover. And echoing the others, change less often, maybe not on every page, maybe narrower (shorter up and down-wise).

Juliana

Juliana Spink Mills. "No capes!"
Supporter
I know some people are missing from the current chrons author promotion
Ooh, me please! ;)

That's a good point. A book cover would be better.
I think it would look great if you use pretty much as is, but add the book cover thumbnail on the blank space to the right of your book's banner. And an easy fix, too.

I also agree as to slower changes between banners. :)

Glitch

Supporter
The mixture of covers looks very good. The only problem for me is with IE the banner scrolls down in front of the text, not behind it. Which is actually rather annoying.

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
Too big, bit annoying, grey bar too high, switches images too fast, hate advertising at the top of forums. Would prefer to just pay a monthly fee to keep the forum ad-free. You're preaching to the converted (or nonconvertible) on here anyway, as Chrons members all know about these books already. Just my 2c.

RX-79G

Too big, bit annoying, grey bar too high, switches images too fast, hate advertising at the top of forums. Would prefer to just pay a monthly fee to keep the forum ad-free. You're preaching to the converted (or nonconvertible) on here anyway, as Chrons members all know about these books already. Just my 2c.
I don't know all of them, and am not sure where I would go on the forum to have learned who has published what.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
There are two sizes for the banner and the larger one fills my entire screen (actually -- I don't know where I saw the smaller one, but now the banner consistently fills my screen), so when I click on any of the thumbnail image books, the banner simply expands to fill my screen (although actually it opens a new window with the banner expanded to fill my whole screen). It took me a few goes before I scrolled down and realised it had also taken me to the thread about the 20 Exciting New Authors.

I do like the thumbnail banner (and yours) and I think it's a great idea to advertise Chrons writers, but I find the current implementation a barrier to enjoying the site (which is probably no bad thing since I spend too much time here anyway!) and may put (new) people off.

If it were narrower, I think you'd be able to advertise without blocking content, which is what it currently does. If there are too many books in the thumbnail, you could always have two thumbnail banners with half of the books on each.

This is everything I can see on my laptop:

upload_2017-2-2_8-14-12.png

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Venusian Broon Feedback 8
Brian G Turner Feedback 5
Ray McCarthy Feedback 26
Metryq SFF Lounge 5
AE35Unit Art 22