February 2017 100 Word Anonymous Writing Challenge Discussion Thread

I wish I could have voted for all of them (except mine, because that's not allowed :p).

Greater Love Hath No Man
A Crime of Passion
(and vote – made me laugh)
Daddy's Little Girl
Mistaken
Time Loves a Mystery
Star Crossed Sleuth
From the Secret Notes of Dr. Bradley Campbell, Criminal Psychologist, February 14, 2017

I'm new to this whole guessing thing, so I don't really recognize any of your styles yet... but I think that Cat's Cradle wrote Mistaken or if not that then my second guess at what she wrote would be Star Crossed Sleuth (I will admit that I did just look for the exclamation of "oh" to determine this... so... I might be... Mistaken? [cue slow clap])

I'm new to this whole guessing thing, so I don't really recognize any of your styles yet... but I think that Cat's Cradle wrote Mistaken or if not that then my second guess at what she wrote would be Star Crossed Sleuth (I will admit that I did just look for the exclamation of "oh" to determine this... so... I might be... Mistaken? [cue slow clap])

I think you've got the hang of this already, as far as ferreting out clues. :p Now as to whether CC wrote that one or not (he, by the way), I have no idea. I haven't got around to looking for hints yet, and probably won't until it's too late.

Welcome to the site, @Alyssa! I'll mention that the guessing is just for fun (and is optional), and, honestly, it's usually very hard even for folks who've been reading each others' stories for years to get more than a few correct. No worries!

Also - and with absolutely no reproachment intended - I'll mention that Cat's Cradle-she is actually a Cat's Cradle-he! ;)

ps - have you checked out the 75-word writing challenge?
March 2017 75-word Writing Challenge -- READ FIRST POST!

I got my vote in early. Now for my (mostly wild) guesses (even tougher when you don't have a list of names):

Greater Love Hath No Man - farntfar
A Crime of Passion - Cathbad
Her Felonious Little Plans – Ashleyne. B. Watts
Mistaken – Victoria Silverwolf
Star Crossed Sleuth - Vaz
Alan Millstone, Fight for your life! (An Interactive Thriller) – D.G. Jones
Ben, the Two of Us - mosaix
Love's Letters Lost - TheDustyZebra
Daddy's Little Girl - ratsy
I Love My Job – Cory Swanson
For the Love of the Pink Panther - Starbeast
Time Loves a Mystery – hopewrites
From the Secret Notes of Dr. Bradley Campbell, Criminal Psychologist, February 14, 2017 – Cat's Cradle
A Shot to the Heart - chrispenycate
The Alternative - Wruter
Body of Evidence - Droflet
Et Tu Brute? - Alyssa
Death of the handyman John Smith - Coast

I'll consult my spread sheet and begin tantalizing clueish answers to the guesses posted, when I get home from work tonight.

I have a feeling I'm gonna need the grande hazelnut cocoa anyway as I'm only scheduled two days at the end of next week, so it's all vo equipment shopping...

It seems reasonable to hypothesize that Wruter has at least one correct, while stating as well that farntfar, Alyssa and johnnyjet each have made a similar incorrect guest. ;)

edit - of course - just above - that should read 'guess', not 'guest'. I have no way of knowing if farntfar, Alyssa and johnnyjet are in fact 'incorrect guests'!

Last edited:
I would say they're of, if not all by, Hope.
(That might read well, but of course, makes no sense! :))

It sounds unfortunately like you might describe a pedigree horse, Cat's. (By Wruter out of Hopewrites.)
You'd better add some "all insinuations are purely coincidental and not meant to imply... blahdy blah" clause, before you get in trouble.

Incidentally, I don't think anyone has correctly pinned the tail on me yet either.

Although I was horsing around, I was doing so with unbridled affection, and was marely having fun...

And darn! I thought I'd pegged you, farntfar! But they don't call it 'guessing' for nothing! ;)

Back