February 2017 100 Word Anonymous Writing Challenge Discussion Thread

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Hey gang! So...somehow I won the last 100 worder. And somehow it's been five months since we started that last one (September 2016).

I have a genre and theme ready to go, and so I wondered if we're ready for the next Anonymous Challenge? If so, how about the dates...we could start tomorrow, February 2nd? Maybe run it till the end of day, February 28th, and then hold voting March 1-3. Or any other suggestions?

I can start a posting-thread tomorrow, depending on the response here. Also, I wonder if anyone might be willing to host? I can step in if we don't have any volunteers, but I'd be happy to relinquish the job if anyone wants to try their hand at hosting, or wants a return gig hosting.

So, what's the word, everyone? :)

Hopewrites, that would be wonderful if you host! I hosted once - I just looked back, I am shocked it was two years ago! - and it was a lot of fun. (Also, I completely forgot that we had a haiku challenge...back in November, 2015; the co-winners were Luiglin and Victoria.) Geesh, time flies.

The only part of hosting I found difficult, hopewrites, was the voting poll. But I wrote to Ursa, and he sent me wonderful instructions on how to create a poll, so if you want to attempt it, I can send the instructions along to you. Well, are we a go? :)

I was just thinking about this the other day.
It would be good to get going again.

Well done, Hope for offering to run it.
As Cat's says it can be fun to do. But he's also right about the poll creation.

Another suggestion is that the ending time should be in the hands of the person running the month.
It has traditionally been day X at midnight GMT, which pretty awkward, depending on the time zone you live in.
Staying up until 1,2 3 or 4 in the morning to close the entries, then put up the last entry (after doing the word count. Someone always posts last minute), then to create and kick off the poll and then to close it 3 days later is a pain.
So if you're in EST for instance, a closure date at 8pm EST seems far more sensible.
Whadja think?

Edit: HOST!
that was the word I was looking for. (I only had to look at the previous post for Evan's sake.)

Last edited:
Good points, farntfar! I will PM the genre/theme choices to hopewrites, and then any time/any place it's decided to begin, we'll get going. :)

I'd open the thread now, but I want to get a closing time in the OP, so I'll open it after I get home from work tonight.

Feel free to start PMing (Starting a Conversation with me) with your entries.

Theme: Love - Requited or Otherwise
Genre: Murder Mystery

I'm PST time zone which is -7 GMT so closing midnight then would be what 5pm for me? Depending on my schedlue that day that wont do.

I also think we should pick a close date that doesnt conflict with the main Challenges. What do you think?

Great themes Cat's. It should get some interesting entries.

Choose the closing time that suits you, Hope. It's rather my point. GMT is no good for lots of people for lots of reasons.
And as we're all round the globe, it's fairly arbitrary anyway.

As for the date, you're quite correct. Keep it away from the end of the 75 so that people don't have to finish both at the same time. (We're only a black market challenge after all.)

Oooh, I've found another writing challenge. I'm in, though the theme and genre looks like a challenge for me. :)

For new entrants to the 100 it's worth pointing out that the entries are anonymous. As well as voting for your favourite you also get to guess the author.

Entries are PM'd to the host who posts them in the entry thread. Part of the fun is the outrageous bluffing that goes on in the discussion thread to hide the identity of the authors. Enjoy. :)

Okay...now I've given the theme, I'm done with this Challenge!!

(Alex and Cory, you can do this! Unless you were just bluffing about the theme's being difficult, as a form of clever subterfuge?? :))

I don't even really exist.
So any entries you think are mine are merely the product of a deranged imagination.

Sounds like Hope isn't going to have work too hard this time. :)

Hope abounds with strange things.

I've got one entry sitting in my box waiting for me to have more than two seconds to put together.

I look forward to seeing what the rest of you don't write.

So for the first time in I refuse to count how many days I'll have a day off tomorrow. So I'll pop over to the local internet cafe and do some count-copy-paste, some taxes, and some browsing. Maybe if my grande-hazelnut-hot-chocolate makes it through all of that I'll even update my laptop.

You* have until roughly 10am pst to be part of batch one.

* you specifically. Not generally. You are reading this post and I am personally challenging you to have a story on my e-desk in 22hrs** or less.

**more likely less, the only people actually getting 22hrs are the ones who read my post half and hour before I thought of it and posted it.

Bloody time travelers. Never giving me a lift.

Nice first crop.

I've never posted so voicy ;)

(naturally my main drive to host is so that for a small number of days I can pass off, as my own, better work. ;) )

I just read through the posts, and didnt see it, perhaps I missed it though. Was the final submission date selected yet?

Back