Discussion Thread -- FEBRUARY 2017 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

I always count my 75-word entries manually as well, but that's more because I'm lazy and write them on my phone whilst slobbed in front of the TV rather than actually drag myself upstairs to my computer where it will count for me (which is also lazy...)

Yes, but when I included the title my Word Processor said I had 81. --- I've no clue here. I used my home computer which only has Open Office on it. So maybe that's the problem.

Parson, Open Office counts opening quotes at the beginning of a line as a word.

Took me ages to find out why my 75 word count was nearly always wrong. I've resorted to leaving out quotes altogether and only adding them when I submit my story. Unfortunately, one month, I forgot to add them! :eek::eek:

@mosaix .... Well that sounds right. When I took out quotes the set I took out begun in the middle and ended at the end. I declare Mystery Solved. Ask a question around here and the odds are that someone knows the answer. Thanks Mosaix!

@mosaix ..... (a second time?) helps us to understand that there is no clever lie when the truth is obvious to a child.

@Culhwch .... helps us to understand that no one is so set in their ways that they can't find a better way.

Fables, @Perpetual Man – A comic writer and artist are victims of their own success in this left-field take on the ‘fable’ theme.

A Growth in Intelligence, @Parson – In a twist on a classic fable or two, Henny the chicken defies the ‘headless chicken’ stereotype by using her head and, at the same time, avoids becoming one.

The Life Giving Forest, @Bowler1 – Touching on the theme of sustainability, the unchecked voraciousness of the ants proves to be their downfall in this woodland tale.

The Little Girl and The Young Newlywed, @mosaix – Never assume children are stupid.

Cat and Dog, @Culhwch – An insight into the lives of pets, this story shows that those who look down on the obedient may not know what they are missing.

@BigJ .... helps us to understand that the purpose in living is living your life .

@Tommy Brauer .... helps us to understand that true majesty does not come from a blade but from within.

@DG Jones .... helps us to understand that wisdom is not found in a gift received but in a life lived.

@Phyrebrat .... helps us to understand that Mom was always right. You are what you eat.

Snuck in, with aeons to spare. On the train tomorrow I shall have some 75ers to start reading!

I think that may turn out to be the one. :D

All right, people, we're still eight short with just over a day to go, assuming that the three musketeers get in as usual. If anybody's still dithering out there, now's the time to get moving!

Well my entry initially came out as a glorious 150 words. So I would like to relinquish responsibility for its state, since being so brutally hacked at to get it down to 75.

Also I've just noticed that my (unimaginative) title is the same as an apparently well-known children's book :oops: I assume the story differs though, so that'll have to do.

Fable is a difficult one to fit into such a small word count. I don't know how the rest of you managed so well o_O

Purpose, @BigJ – Faced with the stark realities of life in the wild, the young animal protagonist of this story struggles to find meaning in their life.

@Tommy Brauer – A cautionary tale that reminds us that martial power rarely brings happiness. No matter how righteous, others will always seek to topple those with power.

Seek, And Ye Shall Find, @DG Jones – Wisdom comes to those who wait in this epic story of time and tribulations.

You Are What You Eat, @Phyrebrat – Rich with the gleeful absurdity of the best children’s stories, this tale of unrepentant over-indulgence lends new meaning to the phrase ‘my legs have turned to jelly’.

The Price, @Mr Orange – A harrowing, poetic and all too true-to-life account of the cost of humanity’s hubris. Sometimes, only through bitter experience do we learn.

Fable is a difficult one to fit into such a small word count. I don't know how the rest of you managed so well o_O

Who says we managed so well? I had the same problem. Commiserations from someone who understands what you went through.

I think I sort of sidestepped the true heart of a fable in a rather flippant way. Trying to get the the true essence of a fable in 75 words is damn hard.

Back