Discussion Thread -- FEBRUARY 2017 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

@Perpetual Man .... helps us to understand that any disadvantageous deal will not simply disappear over time.

(I can't put my finger on it, but I think there is some sort of story related to the Eisners.)

That was a comment not a question. --- But I will be interested in hearing the answer to that.

So it was, my bad, you can see how ditracted I am these days, don't even notice if there is a question mark or not. :D

I know what the Eisner Awards are, but not sure who this refers to. We'll find out before long! CC

the genre was tougher than i first thought it would be, but i have something and only have to cut 4 words to make it fit. that's a job for another day

good stories in so far

Well I'm in. I'm quite sure I got the Fable part right. I hope the story stands as well. ---- This was frustrating to count. I counted and counted; and am sure I have 73 words. But my Word Processor says 77. Trusting myself over technology is never smart, but I'm going to do it this time.

Well I'm in. I'm quite sure I got the Fable part right. I hope the story stands as well. ---- This was frustrating to count. I counted and counted; and am sure I have 73 words. But my Word Processor says 77. Trusting myself over technology is never smart, but I'm going to do it this time.

Your title had 4 words...

:)

Your title had 4 words...

:)

Yes, but when I included the title my Word Processor said I had 81. --- I've no clue here. I used my home computer which only has Open Office on it. So maybe that's the problem.

Parson, my computer counts seperate dashes and ellipses etc. as a word. Not sure if your story has any, I've not read it yet, but that could be a reason (n)

And who chose this darn theme and genre? I need to have words with them! I am now on idea 5 for this theme, simply because I couldnt get my story to work how I wanted it to... Though I haven't actually written anything down yet. maybe that's part of the issue.
Hopeful for iteration5 though(y)

My eyes counted 73 so I for one vote that you're safe.

Parson, my computer counts seperate dashes and ellipses etc. as a word. Not sure if your story has any, I've not read it yet, but that could be a reason (n)

I have quotation marks and apostrophes, but no dashes or ellipses. I even tried taking the quotation marks out just to see if that would make a difference but it did not.

My eyes counted 73 so I for one vote that you're safe.

I'm feeling safer. So far I believe everyone has who has counted it has come up with 73. I suppose it doesn't make a difference as long as 73 is the right number --- or any number 75 and under --- but it is still frustrating.

I had 73 as well, Parson (both times). This might just have to be filed under mystery (short of some research on your word processor's guidelines, and some frustrating hypothesizing).

Not sure if this will help, but in regards to verifying your word count, for future stories: I always count my stories manually first word to last...write down the number, and then re-count last word to first. If you get the same number each way (and then if you're a bit paranoid, as I am, and repeat the procedure several...okay, many times) you're likely golden. The only times I ever use the processor's word-count function is to get a count when I've finished the rough draft, and then when I'm culling large numbers of words to get down to the upper word limit. But I'd say, respectfully: let this one go!! :) CC

Back