Would you read a fantasy novel that verged into scifi, or vice versa?

DelActivisto

WARG!
This conversation cropped up in the writing forum, but I thought I'd bring it over here because F&SF readers will be well versed in this as well.

Essentially, do the two genres need to be so distinct? If they do need to be so, it starts to feel a bit like dogma. But of course, there are things people like and things people don't like. People like fantasy. People don't like Tru - never mind. My opinion is that people need something new, and constantly reading about the medieval magic world can get old sometimes. For me, I flop between fantasy and science fiction constantly.

Fantasy tends to be an exploration of medieval times. But sometimes a futuristic twist is included. Also, Star Wars is often sent to the fantasy genre because of the storyline - not because of the futuristic trappings, which would make it science fiction.

And when we think of science fiction, we think of Star Trek, which is often more cerebral than Star Wars. But each brings it's own human quagmire to the Parabolic Table.

In other words, do you feel like they need to remain distinct? If so, why? I have a story, myself, and I'm trying to figure out what balance of technology and fantasy is right. So your responses might help shape a book! More likely I'll ignore everyone and do what I was going to do anyways. ;) The magic in my story is explained by science and technology. That said, there's plenty of fantasy elements, and it will almost certainly get classified as fantasy. The main story follows of medieval friends around as they learn to use magic and battle an evil warlord who's back from the dead (not actually undead; I can't stand the zombie cliche). But the technology is advancing rapidly, and the era in the book is swiftly leaving the medieval era behind and entering the industrial/enlightenment era. Further, there are scenes that are very technological and deal with the issue of high far is too far, with respect to science and technology.

I personally don't mind a good blend of genres. :) As long as the story is enjoyable and the characters are believable and well thought out I don't have any issues with a hodgepodge of genres whatsoever. It could even result in a story being more unique as it isn't trying to fit into any established mold. That's just my opinion though! :whistle:

I don't mind crossover pieces ether. One of my favorite worlds is Hard SF in the intro, and Fantasy feeling in the main body.

I think too it really depends on where a person draws the line between F and SF. Some people feel that Fantasy is about actions and SF is about ideas (brain v brawn), some call it based on tech levels, some by the closeness to RL...

Truly, all I want is engaging characters I can easily relate to, in a voce that blends in well with the other voices in my head, and makes me think. (I know, not a lot right :rolleyes:)

@hopewrites Sounds very Pernian.

I don't think it's a problem as long as it makes sense within the story. If you have knights fighting dragons it would be hard to write in a star freighter flyby, but probably not impossible.

Hah. You caught me out. Robinton is my second fantasy love. (Dont ask who my first is, it exposes my nerd levels.)

As a kid I loved the Pern series. It didn't age well with me, but for a long time it was my favourite thing.

Essentially, do the two genres need to be so distinct?

My observation is that fantasy and science fiction are like a Venn Diagram with two connecting circles - there are a number of readers who will only read one or the other, but there are also a number who will read both. It really depends on what the book itself is aiming to do.

Fantasy tends to be an exploration of medieval times. But sometimes a futuristic twist is included.

This is exactly what I did with Gathering (Chronicles of Empire 1). It's sold as an epic fantasy with a science fiction twist, and so far reviewers have tended to highlight that aspect as particularly enjoyable.

First, I think it is a mistake to analyze sci fi movies to distill definitions of sci fi literature. Movies use visuals as a replacement for exposition, and no one can watch Star Wars and feel that they witnessed a fantasy. It is only when you analyze the plot elements divorced from the mise en scene that the list of events appears to include fantastic elements.

As far as literature goes, it needs to be said that people that read only science fiction are still not going to want to read everything that is strict science fiction. I haven't read Pern, but I don't care for McCaffrey's Ship series, so I would be unlikely to read something that is even "softer" sci fi. But if I'm looking for SF to read as an SF fan, a book that says it is a blend of fantasy and SF is not SF. And someone who is a not a fan of the strictures of SF may have the same problem. Plenty of other people aren't in either camp and are happy to read either interchangeably, or a blend of the two. But that blend isn't some sort of crowd pleasing literature multitool - it is its own distinct thing. Adding SF elements to fantasy to try and make SF is like trying to add sugar to steak until it turns into dessert.

Does it matter? As long as you know who your audience is and can reach them with the right book summary; no.

R. Scott Bakkers The Second Apocalypse does this fantastically IMO.

The setting is a sort of pseudo medieval setting written in a very scriptural sort of way, the main antagonists are "demons" which crashed to the world in a great Ark and the "Heron Spear" a spear of light is one of the legendary weapons.

Add to the mix that Sorcery is real and varied, Dragons exist but are likely metallic constructs. Science is represented by the Tekne and the BIOS and it is strongly hinted that the "demon aliens" are actually post singularity human like hedonists.

Dune to me is as much fantasy as SF. Definitely fits the moniker of space fantasy and has a deeply mythological feel running through the book.

Might I suggest Fred Saberhagen's Empire of the East Trilogy ?

Yes. No probs. I prefer soft sf anyhow, and have no concerns when there's a bit of magic mixed in (people often think this is the case with Abendau but there isn't actually magic in it - my psi powers have a biological reason. Perhaps when I get to the next few books - which have inconveniently exploded and are now being captured by hand in between the actual thing I should be writing, and work-work - I'll actually get around to explaining that. So far, it has been a non-issue, however.)

I would definitely read it as it is one of my favorite sub-genres ( think of Vance's Dying Earth, Wolfe's Book of The New Sun, Silverberg's Majipoor, Vance's Planet Of Adventure, Zelazny Lord Of Light etc ).

Last edited:
I thought the old Apprentice Adept series handled it well, that was my first experience with genre blending way back when. The line does seem to get fuzzier between sci fi and fantasy as we go along. As long as it's well done I have no objection.

I would read it, but I'd feel somehow cheated if the SF element was pulled out of a hat as a surprise. I'm not sure why I'd think that, though.

Yes if you're going to science your magic, take a cue from Pen and Teller... unmask your magic in a fun and graceful way, showing how cool it is, without making the audience feel like we've been taken for a ride.

I thought the old Apprentice Adept series handled it well, that was my first experience with genre blending way back when. The line does seem to get fuzzier between sci fi and fantasy as we go along. As long as it's well done I have no objection.

Oh. My. God. I'd forgotten these... think I gave them away a couple of decades ago, now I want to read them again!!

I would read it, but I'd feel somehow cheated if the SF element was pulled out of a hat as a surprise. I'm not sure why I'd think that, though.

I've felt the same way before and I'm still not utterly sure why (I was very young though). I do know that Pern started going downhill for me after it became clear this was a Science-Fantasy. It felt like there was a shift in plot emphasis and less people on dragons being awesome.

Anyway. The existence of Science-Fantasy and Space Fantasy as genres makes it clear there's lots of interest in the crossover. I don't have a huge amount of interest in it myself though.