(Found) Mathematician, android, time lock?

igoncang

I'm also trying to track own a story I read in 1970. It was about an alien android able to change it's appearance and looking for a mathematician. It found and managed to persuade the mathematician to accompany it to an off-world place where there was a timelock device. The mathematician figured out how to unlock the device and the android changed it's shape to a power tool of sorts to force the device open. It failed and, as it lay dying, it told the mathematician that it's creators were evil and dead as the timelock device could not be opened unless time ended for the creators.

I hope someone would remember this or a similar story and com up with the title and/or author.

Igoncang's book sounds like Vault of the Beast by AE Van Vogt.

Glad I could help.

Not glad to realise this was three (actually) years ago! Sign of getting old... :-(

I think this is a good idea i've seen it put -> (Found) on other sites and i think if you start a post and your helped to the answer more posters should do this

I think this is a good idea i've seen it put -> (Found) on other sites and i think if you start a post and your helped to the answer more posters should do this

How do you do this? Could I do it days after posting a question or would admin need to sort it?

Last edited:
I started doing it when I had some spare time recently and couldn't concentrate on anything else. :)

If you want to message me and let me know when one is solved, I'll add the (found) to the thread title. It's probably best to wait for confirmation from the OP that it is, indeed, the one they were looking for, unless it's pretty solid and they aren't around to confirm.

I started doing it when I had some spare time recently and couldn't concentrate on anything else. :)

If you want to message me and let me know when one is solved, I'll add the (found) to the thread title. It's probably best to wait for confirmation from the OP that it is, indeed, the one they were looking for, unless it's pretty solid and they aren't around to confirm.
Cheers for this . Roger Wilco

You know sorry for creating more work never really looked to see if it could be done by the OP didn't realise it had to be done by a staff member

Make two book search sub forums. One 'unsolved' and one 'answered 'and then just keep slamming 'em into the relevant subsection. It'll keep me n Monkeypooper out of mischief prowling about in ' unsolved'