Star Wars VIII: The Last Jedi

I enjoyed one of the top reader comments from that Grauniad article:-

"Star Wars Episode IX: Actually there was another Jedi we forgot to mention"

:ROFLMAO:

Star Wars fans must be in Heaven with the sudden rollout of films over the last year or so, both as part of the ongoing series and standalones.

Hope it doesn't suffer Star Trek syndrome! Although some would argue it already did with those prequels people choose not to talk about in polite society, :cautious:

As long as they explain why Luke's hand has gone from a realistic, fresh-like mechanical prosthetic, to a much cooler robot hand I'll be happy.

That, and a lot more screen time with R2-D2 and BB-8, those two are the real heroes. People can't get enough of astromechs.*

*[starts Dictaphone] "Note to self. Contact Disney to propose a buddy-cop TV series staring R2-D2 and BB-8. Obviously R2 needs a tie and fedora."

I do think that title will end up being less than accurate.

As long as they explain why Luke's hand has gone from a realistic, fresh-like mechanical prosthetic, to a much cooler robot hand I'll be happy.
If I spent that amount of time alone in self imposed exile, you can bet I'd have worn the fake skin off of my right hand.

If I spent that amount of time alone in self imposed exile, you can bet I'd have worn the fake skin off of my right hand.

Makes sense; they'll probably release a tie-in comic to explain it, like they did with C-3PO's red arm.

Makes sense; they'll probably release a tie-in comic to explain it, like they did with C-3PO's red arm.

My initial theory was that C-3P0 lost his original arm in a lightsaber duel.:whistle:

Actually, C-3P0 still has his original arm. It's only red because he recently delivered a calf.

This may sound untrue, but I can assure you, it's an alternative fact.

Actually, C-3P0 still has his original arm. It's only red because he recently delivered a calf.

This may sound untrue, but I can assure you, it's an alternative fact.

tumblr_inline_mwqrnxOEIm1qjtsgi.jpg

Don't forget Jedi is closer to a religious order not just a way of using the Force. So my guess is we are seeing a revelation that the Jedi teachings are not going to work; or that the Empire destroyed so much of them and their writings that Luke can't rebuild their order (hence the failed teachings earlier).

Don't forget Jedi is closer to a religious order not just a way of using the Force. So my guess is we are seeing a revelation that the Jedi teachings are not going to work; or that the Empire destroyed so much of them and their writings that Luke can't rebuild their order (hence the failed teachings earlier).

I can foresee Luke breaking away from the Jedi "teaching", and adopting a whole, there is no Light or Dark side to the Force, only knowledge mentality. Maybe he'll be a bit Dark Side, who knows? Either way, I want to see some serious Jedi-Master level Force powers come outta this guy in the next film.

I thought Luke had been the "last Jedi" since Empire Strikes Back??

Ren may be able to use the Force, but she's not trained as a Jedi. And as mentioned above, it's also used in the plural. So I'm presuming there's a double meaning - that it begins with Luke as a the last Jedi, singular - then ends after Ren (at least) has had training, meaning there are now two.

I thought Luke had been the "last Jedi" since Empire Strikes Back??

Ren may be able to use the Force, but she's not trained as a Jedi. And as mentioned above, it's also used in the plural. So I'm presuming there's a double meaning - that it begins with Luke as a the last Jedi, singular - then ends after Ren (at least) has had training, meaning there are now two.

Well, she is kinda trained; she can Jedi mind-trick people, and she resisted Ren's mind probe.

Being a Jedi, and being able to use the Force are not mutually exclusive. The Jedi are an order, with a set philosophy. Lots of others are able to use the Force, such as Rey. I think Luke is the last Jedi.