@ mentions?

1. Juliana

Juliana Juliana Spink Mills. "No capes!"

Brian, quick question. I have all my alert options activated in my alert preferences, but I never get alerts for @ mentions. Am I supposed to? Just checking!

2. Brian G Turner

Brian G Turner He's a very naughty boy! Staff Member

Double-check your alert preferences:
    https://www.sffchronicles.com/account/alert-preferences

I have pretty much everything checked except boxes 1,2 and 9.

However, there's been reports for some time that alerts may not be working for everybody, but I really don't know how to solve this - reprogramming the forum software is above my level. :)

On that point, though, we're currently running xenforo 1.5, but a fully re-coded version 2.0 should be coming out within the next few months. Once it looks safe to jump into that, I would hope that issues such as alerts might be addressed.

This is especially because the front-end designs here are customisations, and it's possible that mistakes in the coding - either the default, or edits I've made - might have introduced some bugs. But when xenforo 2.0 is released, we'll be using the default skin with only minor colour changes. So any chance of errors being introduced directly or via a third-party will be very much minimised.

That's also a warning to everyone using the vb3 skin that I can't expect to provide that after the move to xenforo 2.0, though I can look to edit in a second design that aims to mimick it in some way.

Juliana likes this.
  3. HareBrain

HareBrain Bunny of Wonder Staff Member

Thanks for the warning, Brian. I might just have enough time to get the counselling required to prepare myself for its loss.

(And BTW, I'm one of the members who only get tag alerts from particular people, though it's always the same people.)

4. TheDustyZebra

TheDustyZebra Inspired. Or possibly insane. Could go either way. Staff Member

I haven't noticed any pattern to what I get and what I don't. It seems random, although it's probably not.

5. Juliana

Juliana Juliana Spink Mills. "No capes!"

Okay, thanks Brian. I'll try the famous method of unclicking everything and clicking it back on. :D

Brian G Turner likes this.
  6. Brian G Turner

I will try to put something up, but it's going to be more like the the SFFchronicles skin, but with vb3 colours. Likely the layout will be more like the former.

7. pyan

pyan Great Old One Staff Member

No alerts at all now. I've unticked and reticked all the boxes on the preference page, logged out and in, and even tried the vB 3.x skins, but no alerts. There's been at least 7 new posts in my watched threads today, but no alerts at the top right...

8. dannymcg

dannymcg Yan Tan Tethera

9. pyan

Yet I've just had a new alert from a thread that's had its first post since I posted there on April 6th...:confused:

10. Brian G Turner

Do you still get an alert if I @pyan ?

11. Gonk the Insane

Gonk the Insane A.J. Grimmelhaus

Hey, @Brian G Turner Did that work?
    I don't think any of us got an initial alert in this recent thread: https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/568212/
    It looks like some people have got later alerts, but not all of us. It reminded me I haven't got an alert for ages (but that could just be because I'm not one of the cool kids:)).

dannymcg likes this.
  12. pyan

Yep, got one for this...

13. Brian G Turner

Hm, when I backup the forums I empty the site's search index to make it more manageable. I wonder if this might be playing havoc with the Watched Thread alerts?

Normally I do the backups on a Sunday morning, but I didn't get around to it last week. Any observations matching up to that?

I have to admit I don't use alerts for Watched Threads as I try to read almost all of them anyway.

14. Gonk the Insane

Gonk the Insane A.J. Grimmelhaus

Ah, sorry, I might have been unclear (probably using the wrong terminology); it wasn't a watched thread notification, but @ mentions within the thread that I was referring to. Apologies if I've sent you on a wild goose chase. I can't say I've noticed any problems with watched thread notifications.

15. TheDustyZebra

TheDustyZebra Inspired. Or possibly insane. Could go either way. Staff Member

I never get @ notifications, but I persist in using VB3.x fluid, so that's probably the reason.