What Do You Think of the Star Wars Prequels ?

I don't know... I don't feel that passionate about it all. I enjoyed watching all of them to the end, which is more than I can say for a lot of movies. No doubt Disney will issue several remakes in the coming decades. ;)
A reverse Disney remake!!!! The animate Star Wars! 2D cell drawn animation of course, for that real old-Disney feel!*
and now I've an image of Thumper as Poe Dameron...
* Actually... I'm ashamed to say I might watch that.

Isn't this the very definition of a brilliantly directed movie?
Well, what I meant with American Grafitti is; put together a bunch of talented actors to play out a cultural scenario they are familiar with and you don't really have to direct them. But again, I feel like I'm just being opinionated here. I don't have a clue really.

The original three Star Wars films, minus the later upgrades, are the only Star Wars movies for me. Jar-Jar Binks. Now there's the definition of a bad idea. He should be recreated in effigy, shot and hanged, and then buried. I mean I did see the prequels but that was a case of "Let's keep making more until they're no longer profitable." I'm not impressed with The Mandalorian either. Especially with his ship design. Comparing it to Slave 1, it just lacks aesthetic appeal. Oh well. Considering how poorly done SF in general is, it turns into a better than nothing situation.

The original three Star Wars films, minus the later upgrades, are the only Star Wars movies for me. Jar-Jar Binks. Now there's the definition of a bad idea. He should be recreated in effigy, shot and hanged, and then buried. I mean I did see the prequels but that was a case of "Let's keep making more until they're no longer profitable." I'm not impressed with The Mandalorian either. Especially with his ship design. Comparing it to Slave 1, it just lacks aesthetic appeal. Oh well. Considering how poorly done SF in general is, it turns into a better than nothing situation.

Robot Chicken had Dark Vader throwing Jar Jar out an airlock because he annoyed him so much and then Vader ws subsequently haunted by Jar Jar's Ghost. You can see it on YouTube. Its hilarious ! :D

The prequel trilogy is severely underrated, Revenge of the Sith is one of the best films in the Star Wars franchise and I feel like The Phantom Menace gets way more hate than it actually deserves. I do however understand the hate for Attack of the Clones, that film sucks.

What do I feel about them?, I try not to to be honest, I saw the first three releases in the cinema and after that everything felt like a disappointment. Sometimes when you create something great it is better to walk away.

What do I feel about them?, I try not to to be honest, I saw the first three releases in the cinema and after that everything felt like a disappointment. Sometimes when you create something great it is better to walk away.

There's many of us who wished George Lucas had done just that.

Had I been him, I would stayed on as ececvute producer but would hired Timothy Zahn and Kevin J Anderson to write the prequels. As to who I would I have given the directing assignment. John McTeirnan.

I heard an interview with Jason Wingreen who did the Boba Fett voice in The Empire Strikes Back and he said after the recording session (which took 10 minutes) he was led to a dark room where George Lucas was sitting and he said "you don't know me I'm Jason Wingreen.." and Lucas said: "But I know Boba Fett."
No hand shake etc.
So when he was leaving the building Wingreen said to Gary Kurtz, "what did he mean, "I know Boba Fett?'"

Kurtz didnt know either.

Boba Fett was a useless bounty hunter. He didn't even capture Solo, Vader did with Lando's help. At least Gredo died a proper bounty hunter getting within inches of capturing Han.

Boba Fett tracked him to the Cloud City but Vader provided the information on where Han Solo was prior to that.

Boba Fett was poorly used in ROTJ but I liked how he was introduced in Jabba's palace with the Jawa hovering around him.Not the SE version obviously-they really goofed him up with the lady's man antics.

Han Solo was a bum though. Bad smuggler, didn't pay his debts to a gangster--then when he had the chance, still didn't do it!
If they have holograms surely they can send bitcoin payments.

Boba Fett was a useless bounty hunter. He didn't even capture Solo, Vader did with Lando's help. At least Gredo died a proper bounty hunter getting within inches of capturing Han.

It should have occurred to Gredo that Solo had weapon on him , Any bounty hunter with half a brain( which Grefo obviously lacked) would have made that assumption. Being stupid and inept as as he was, Im surprised Gredo lasted as long as he did in the Bounty Hunter business. :)

As for Bobba Fett , Lucas absolutely didn't use him correctly at all . And yes , as Bounty Hunter, he was about useful as Gredo. :)

Boba Fett tracked him to the Cloud City but Vader provided the information on where Han Solo was prior to that.

Boba Fett was poorly used in ROTJ but I liked how he was introduced in Jabba's palace with the Jawa hovering around him.Not the SE version obviously-they really goofed him up with the lady's man antics.

Han Solo was a bum though. Bad smuggler, didn't pay his debts to a gangster--then when he had the chance, still didn't do it!
If they have holograms surely they can send bitcoin payments.

Han Solo was his won worst enemy .

I remember when Revenge of the Sith came out I read an article (or an interview) that quoted Lucas as saying that his outline for the events of the prequels was broken up so that 20% of it was in TPM, 20% of it was in AoTC, and 60% of it was in RoTS. I haven't found anything since that corroborated those statistics (or even the original article), so it could easily have all been in my head, but it made sense to me then and makes sense to me now because of how RoTS seemingly spends no time dawdling in getting through its events and the first two movies are almost 60% dawdling.

The movies themselves are not the greatest, but I'm grateful to them because they're a constant reminder that as a creator it doesn't matter how good your previous stuff has been--you won't be able to just fart out good content if you don't spend the time necessary to make it good on its own.

It occurs to me Vader had to bring in the bounty hunters because once he knew Luke's friends were together--with Han Solo--he couldn't risk bounty hunters finding them first to fulfill their Jabba contract.
That's why he said "NO disintegrations." Perhaps he was pointing at Boba Fett because he was notorious for doing that and then claiming a reward.
BF's reluctant assent to the instruction was noticeable in the original version. 'There goes the fun' he might have been thinking.

It occurs to me Vader had to bring in the bounty hunters because once he knew Luke's friends were together--with Han Solo--he couldn't risk bounty hunters finding them first to fulfill their Jabba contract.
That's why he said "NO disintegrations." Perhaps he was pointing at Boba Fett because he was notorious for doing that and then claiming a reward.
BF's reluctant assent to the instruction was noticeable in the original version. 'There goes the fun' he might have been thinking.

And Fett ends up in the belly of Sarlac . Though in the books and even comics , He survived because The Sarlic found him indigestible.:)

And Fett ends up in the belly of Sarlac . Though in the books and even comics , He survived because The Sarlic found him indigestible.:)
I have the Marvel comic of that--where he used his rocket pack to fly out of it, then later he ends up back inside it after a Jawa sandcrawler goes in with him!
Starlog in 1987 also speculated on where the sequel movies would go, and one idea they considered was Boba Fett surviving (since he had all his weapons when he went into the Sarlaac pit) .
Why did C3P0 say "a new definition of suffering as you slowly digest over a 1000 years."
I assume that was just hyperbole --it wasn't implying that when you were in the Sarlaac you would be kept alive for a 1000 years right?

I have the Marvel comic of that--where he used his rocket pack to fly out of it, then later he ends up back inside it after a Jawa sandcrawler goes in with him!
Starlog in 1987 also speculated on where the sequel movies would go, and one idea they considered was Boba Fett surviving (since he had all his weapons when he went into the Sarlaac pit) .
Why did C3P0 say "a new definition of suffering as you slowly digest over a 1000 years."
I assume that was just hyperbole --it wasn't implying that when you were in the Sarlaac you would be kept alive for a 1000 years right?

My understanding was that the Sarlaac would in fact keep you alive for a 1000 years and slowly digest you. As Deaths go this one sounds epically nightmarish. :eek:

I think there was also short story where Fett went back Sarlaac pit, had a conversation with it an then fried it. :unsure:

THX is a good film, yes. I had forgotten about that. American Grafitti didn't need much directing, it sort of flowed on its own in a nice way. IMO, of course.

George Lucas is definitely a genius, no doubt, but even actors that respect him deeply have complained about his directing. Or at the very least made a bit of fun of it.

I don't know... I don't feel that passionate about it all. I enjoyed watching all of them to the end, which is more than I can say for a lot of movies. No doubt Disney will issue several remakes in the coming decades. ;)

In many way Lucas is a genius. No argument there.

What really stands out to me about the prequels is how cartoon-like they are by comparison to the original trilogy It's not simply the special effects or characters such as Jar Jar, but also the story - that a mass battle can fought by throwing magic balls, or how a great space station can be destroyed by complete accident, let alone how not a single person on screen can spot the looming bad guy that the audience can identify the moment they see him. It's all something of a long way from the sense of epic that introduced Star Wars.

True, lightning doesn't strike twice. But the movies were conceived as a sort of Flash Gordon style episodic SF and i think they capture that spirit. Besides, they are kids movies, after all.

I remember my best friends kids loved the PT, but didn't care too much for the OT. I think it's nice that each trilogy has garnered it's own set of fans.