Arcanum Unbounded

The Great Snook

I received this as a holiday gift. It is a collection of short stories that cross many of Brandon's worlds and some worlds I never heard of. I just finished the first story called "The Emperor's Soul" and really enjoyed it. Now I wish I had more vacation time so I could read more. It will probably take me months to finish it now.

I haven't read that one yet. I have, however, the "Emperor's Soul" in the form of an experimental word document from Sanderson. The idea is to read the docs and learn from how he edited the book from version to version. Needless to say, that's a reading dilemma. It's reading for utility at that point, not reading for fun - it's not exactly easy to read a Word doc, know what I mean?

This is coming quite late, but for you and others, here's some quick key details about it.

There are stories in there that will spoil his main series' if you haven't read them already (Mistborn, Stormlight, Elantris). There's something called, 'Mistborn: Secret History' which is apparently very spoiler-y and something you definitely shouldn't touch yet. Then there's things like the story 'The Hope of Elantris' which you just won't understand if you haven't finished the book (Elantris), since it's a continuation from it.

OK, so it took me a while to read, but I only get to read during my lunch break at work. I enjoyed the book. Some stories made no sense to me, but that is probably because I didn't know the worlds they were from or any of the past history. From what I can tell being a Sanderson fan is really important to reading this book. If you aren't I would stay away.

A quick review. I really liked the Emperor's Soul, Mistborn Secret History, and Edgedancer. Of course that could be because I liked those worlds.

Shadows for silence was enjoyable, although I'm still not sure what world that is from.

Sixth of the Dusk was interesting as it reminded me of the old "Any sufficiently advanced technology would look like magic" stories. It was well done.

I wasn't that big of a fan of The Hope of Elantris and the other Mistborn stories. Don't know why. I would probably grade them B's (I am a generous grader).

White Sand, I think I may have to get the graphic novel as I feel there were way too many holes in what was included in this book. It sounded really interesting and I am hoping reading the full story will confirm it.

The title is a turn-off to me. Being that it's Sanderson though, I'd probably try it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Who's Wee Dug Terry Pratchett 1