1. Now Available on Amazon:                            

> Click here for more Amazon stores

Dismiss Notice

Am I suffering from passive writing?

Discussion in 'Critiques' started by TonyHarmsworth, Jan 4, 2017.

TonyHarmsworth

TonyHarmsworth Well-Known Member

Yes. the sentence should be broken back into its original components.

TonyHarmsworth

Thank you all you have given me a lot to think about here.

RX-79G

RX-79G Well-Known Member

Not to be a pain, but I have experienced seconds of weightlessness many times in my life, usually strapped to the seat of an aircraft, but also on rollercoasters, high dives and skydiving. It really isn't that exotic or unfamiliar to people's thinking or experience. It is a little interesting, but that doesn't explain an odd sentence structure.

TonyHarmsworth

Freefall isn't exotic or unfamiliar. WHAT!? I was obviously under a misapprehension.

Your first two comments on this thread were extremely useful, your third not so much and this one seems to be telling me to forget any descriptions of an astronaut's experiences. I am trying to understand how best to write it. You seem to be saying it is not worth writing about at all because everyone who has been to Disneyland has experienced it.

tinkerdan

tinkerdan candycane shrimp

Either I'm dense or this interface doesn't like me
    I think you did alright describing the weightlessness.
    Here are a couple of descriptions about liftoff to weightlessness from some experts.

Here's How One Astronaut Describes What A Shuttle Launch Feels Like

Astronaut John Grunsfeld Tells What Lifting Off in the Space Shuttle is Really Like!

Are there really amusement rides that go 100 miles per hour and then total weightlessness that you somehow consciously know will last until you go home?

I wouldn't know. I'm too old to ride the things.

But if I did the weightlessness would be my spirit rising out of my body. But then you won't pass out from liftoff, and I'm not sure about that amusement ride.

RX-79G

RX-79G Well-Known Member

What you described isn't the wonderment of space, but floating up out of your seat. And I'm saying that describing floating out of your seat doesn't automatically equal describing being in space, because most people have a conception of that feeling. It isn't the part of being in a weightless place that is exotic.

Does that make sense? You are describing something supposedly outrageous, like eating raw fish. But your readers eat sushi. If you want to describe something fantastic, you're going to have to come up with something odder than floating in your seat.

As a descriptive passage it's fine, once the language and punctuation are fixed. I just don't think it is the description of something fantastic - certainly not one warranting weird sentence structure.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    TonyHarmsworth

Thanks for those

TonyHarmsworth

I think you are fortunate in your experiences. The poor sentence structure has already been acknowledged. Thank you.

TonyHarmsworth

I'll give this some thought. Thanks.