How I left my corporate job to become a starving sf writer...

Jo, you are a woman who continues to surprise. Well done indeed! I'm sure you'll never regret your decision to spend more time with your family.

Jo, you are a woman who continues to surprise. Well done indeed! I'm sure you'll never regret your decision to spend more time with your family.
Thanks, Parson. I don't regret it - although I'd have loved the kids to see a little more of the world than we've ever been able to afford to since I gave up. But I have a lovely busy life and tons of amazing people around me, and feel blessed by them all. :)

Thanks, Parson. I don't regret it - although I'd have loved the kids to see a little more of the world than we've ever been able to afford to since I gave up. But I have a lovely busy life and tons of amazing people around me, and feel blessed by them all. :)
Sigh! yes, I know about that. We could hardly afford to give our kids a week at the lake let alone a trip to Europe or something ultra cool like that. But my kids are doing well and have some goals of their own. So I'm not so frustrated by that anymore. But I would still like to see Europe or especially the Holy Land myself. Now the problem will be getting Mrs. Parson to think that it would be fun or an adventure.

Sigh! yes, I know about that. We could hardly afford to give our kids a week at the lake let alone a trip to Europe or something ultra cool like that. But my kids are doing well and have some goals of their own. So I'm not so frustrated by that anymore. But I would still like to see Europe or especially the Holy Land myself. Now the problem will be getting Mrs. Parson to think that it would be fun or an adventure.
Ha! I'd love to get to America. House swop? :D

I'd have loved the kids to see a little more of the world

I read an article a while ago about what parents thought their kids wanted, and what the kids actually wanted (when asked). Mum and Dad thought the kids wanted to go places, and do exciting things; what the kids wanted (in general) was to spend time with Mum and Dad, just doing normal things.

I think there's something in this - my husband's a teacher, and he's taught the whole range from poor areas to rich kids. And sometimes the rich kids have all the designer clothes and latest tech toys, but they don't get any parental attention because Mum and Dad are always out working to earn the money to pay for the designer clothes and tech toys...

I'm betting that your kids won't miss the opportunity to go travelling - after all, they've got the rest of their lives to do that, and with any luck the rest of the world isn't going to go away (and if it does, everybody will have more to worry about than not having seen Niagara Falls). What they won't have once they're grown up is the opportunity to spend quality time with Mum and Dad.

But don't worry about the rest.
I'll bet Jo could do some cracking sermons while you're in Belfast, Parson. :)

Edit: Sorry. Carrickfergus.

Last edited:
I can see it now. Jo uses the prophet Hosea's life, where his family life was the basis for his prophecy, and starts talking about her calling to be nearer her children while releasing her corporate job. ---- It could work, you know.

I'd like to see America, too. (Having seen very little of it in 60+ years.)
Sigh! It is a great country and a great shame you haven't seen more of it. ---- I didn't know what a gift my parents gave me when I was a teenager in that regard. We traveled through at least 35 states. --- Didn't see as much as we likely should have my parents being extremely frugal, but I couldn't do nearly the same for my children. One trip to California, and one trip up to Minnesota fishing for a week. That's about it and my kids still speak about those two trips now and then.