DISCUSSION -- January 2017 300-word Writing Challenge (#24)

Okay then:

My shortlist and votes*

Cory Swanson*
Cat's Cradle
Perp
Mosaix
DG Jones
Rafellin
Coast
Littlestar*
The Judge*

Thank you so much for the votes. I think it's the most I have ever had in any challenge since I started visiting these warm shores. In fact, it's likely near the number I have had in total over the years.

pH

I'm not sure I can call this a shortlist, but my favourites were by: Peter V, ErikB, Victoria Silverwolf, Cory Swanson, Ashleyne. B. Watts, johnnyjet, DG Jones, Tommy Brauer, Stable, LittleStar, MrOrange

I have one clear favourite, which is Horseplay by Stable. It's too tough to pick only 2 from the rest, so one vote it is. Coincidentally, my favourite from the 75-word challenge was sort-of about time travel too.

This one was particularly tough to decide, some really great stories in there.

Honourable mentions to:

Mosaix
Johnnyjet
Coast
Peter V
TJ
CC
Heijan Xavier
Hugh
ErikB
Rafellin

Votes

Wruter
Phyrebrat
Stable

And if I had had another vote, it would have gone to DG Jones :D

Peter V -- A Gift From the Gods?
ErikB -- Broken Toy
*farntfar -- A Condition of Acceptance*
Old Man Steve2016 -- Who Lives Decides Your History
*Luiglin -- Behold!*
Phyrebrat -- Oh, Jump, and I'll Come to You, My Love

Cat's Cradle -- Caterina and the Demons
DG Jones -- I Drive the Hearse
The Storyteller -- Umanoden
Stable -- Horseplay
Coast -- Leadership
Mr Orange -- Almighty Equarth
*TJ -- The Sea Horse*

Long List:

Wruter
Farntfar
Victoria Silverwolf
Cat's Cradle
Perpetual Man
Mosaix
DG Jones
Rafelin
Chrispenycate
Little Star
Ratsy
Ursa

Shortlist:

Wruter
Victoria
Cats Cradle
Mosaix
DG Jones
Rafellin

Votes:

Victoria
Cat's Cradle
Mosaix

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrific stories everyone! I had three clear favorites, but so many that could also have been listed. So, here we go:

Honorables:

Vaz, Wruter, farntfar, Ashleyne, Rafellin, Stable, HazelRah

Shortlist:

Cathbad, johnnyjet, Perpetual Man, mosaix

Votes:

Cory Swanson: so wonderfully weird, and funny. Would love to have written this one!
Phyrebrat: so beautifully written...evocative and powerful. Really fine.
TheJudge: Also beautifully written; a whole world, and strong story, told in 300 or so words.

Thank you so much to the folks who've voted for, and listed my story. I didn't expect much this month, but I'm so happy people have enjoyed that humble little tale. :)

Well, I have voted (yesterday, I think) and finally organised my thoughts enough for a short list, which consists of: AlexH, Peter V, Tommy Brauer, with votes for Cory Swanson, farntfar and The Judge. which leaves me pointing out that only about ten and a half hours remain, and that apparently:- Aquilonian, Ashleyne. B. Watts, Calliopenjo, Cat's Cradle, ErikB, Mr Orange, Perpetual Man, ratsy, The Judge and Ursa major have not yet got round to giving us the illumination of their various opinions ()at least, I trust they are various - having them all vote for one entry would be a trifle overwhelming) Oh, huge numbers of others are eligible to vote, but I only comment upon those who submitted, or posts would become excessive.

Thank you johnnyjet, Cathbad and Heijan Xavier for your mentions, and as always Victoria for all your reviews.

A good variety of stories and types of speculative fiction this quarter, and nowhere near the number of Godfather references that I expected!

But with no horsing about, straight onto my shortlist:

Aquilonion -- The Awakener
Cat's Cradle -- Caterina and the Demons
Coast -- Leadership
mosaix -- So, It's Come To This
Mr Orange -- Almighty Equarth
Phyrebrat -- Oh, Jump, and I'll Come to You, My Love
ratsy -- Sentence
Shyrka -- On A Pale Iron Horse
Stable -- Horseplay
Vaz -- Monolith
Wruter -- It Was a Long Way

The first vote was easy, as I fell for Phyrebrat's lyrical, poetic, heart-breaking story as soon as I read it. The second vote was nearly as easy, as I loved Shyrka's tale of desperate flight from the consequences of hubris (and the character's ranks/titles)-- and Shyrka also gets the prize for best title this quarter. The third vote was harder and I wavered to and fro for a bit before plumping for ratsy's poignant, beautifully controlled tale of despair and hope.

Snorting, hoof-stamping thanks for the mentions/shortlistings Stable, The Storyteller, johnnyjet, Starbeast and HazelRah, and rearing, roaring sea-stallion thanks for the wonderful votes Shyrka, Phyrebrat, LittleStar, TDZ, farntfar, CC, and Chris p, and for the stealth vote, Wruter!

Here's the result of the Ursa jury's deliberations, with the stories in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • It Was a Long Way by Wruter
  • Layover by Victoria Silverwolf
  • The Lesson of the Toymaker by Perpetual Man
Runners Up:
  • The Gift of Pure Contamination by Heijan Xavier
  • Behold! by Luiglin
  • Almighty Equarth by Mr Orange
Winners:
  • Oh, Jump, and I’ll Come to You, My Love by Phyrebrat
  • I Drive The Hearse by DG Jones
  • Umanoden by The Storyteller

Sixteen! Look at you go! I will defer to the chart-keepers, but I'm pretty sure that's a record. :D

Congratulations, Phyrebrat! :love:(y):D

Congratulations Phyrebrat!

Many thanks to the people who voted for or gave me a mention. I'm ecstatic to have done as well as I did in such company. :)

Good going, Brat. When I get a chance I'll read all entries. No chance to join in the fun this month but hopefully the next one.

Back